Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question re: planting in pots in ground

Posted by aliceb_ma6 z6 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 16:23

Hi,

In another thread Teresa (crdahlia z8bWA) said:

"Another thing you can do to insure a tuber the following year is plant the tuber in a pot and then sink the pot in the ground. You will get a normal sized plant and blooms. Then, when the season is over, dig the pot and store pot and all where it won't freeze. When the tuber sprouts, you can separate into several pieces, or take cuttings. But that is another whole subject."

I am very interested in trying this, and have a couple of questions: (1) what size pot? (2) one or more holes in the bottom of the pot? (3) what kind of soil do you use in the pot? (4) how do you fertilize?

Thanks,

Alice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question re: planting in pots in ground

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 16:26

Alice_ma6,

1) The bigger the better at least a gallon + - to make room for a good root system and also for tuber development. Some can get really large.

2) As many holes as possible. I take pails and drill holes in the sides near the bottom to plant my brugmansia. That way I can root prune easily and pull them out. Dahlia roots are not as large as brugmansia, so bottom holes will be okay. You still might have to dig deeply to get to the bottom of the pot.

3) Good soil with lots of nutrients. Also with good drainage. They don't like wet feet.

4) If your pot soil is good, you will need less fertilizer. I use Miracle Grow, but any balanced fertilizer is good.

Personally, I don't have the space to do what you are recommending, so I clean well, dry slightly, dust with bulb dust, wrap, and store in cardboard box in my cold cellar which does not freeze. This has worked well for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here