Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to my Dahlias?

Posted by janinecollette 6 NJ (janinecollette@aol.com) on
Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 16:40

Hi All.. Need some of your expert advice :) I searched through my Ortho Problem Solver book, but I cant seem to figure out what happened to my beautiful dahlias (tears). Here's some pics of what they looked like a month ago. So full and healthy! Click the pic to see it larger.
picture 271

picture 272
And here's what they look like now. They are lost all their bottom leaves which turned brown,I have been removing them, hence I guess why they look so thin. I'm sprayed them several times with the Ortho Systemic Insect Spray, but I guess it never helped. What do you think the problem was/is? I'm about to remove them bc they look so pitiful. :(
picture 004
picture 005
picture 006

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to my Dahlias?

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 12:19

Mine didn't do very well this year either...Powder mildew even though they are completely in the open...Most of mine look like yours...I don't know what caused this, but I think I'm going to get rid of mine and use the space for another type of flower.

I hope someone can help out...knotz

o

Looks like powdery mildew to me (disclaimer: I'm no expert though). I used baking soda in water to spray on my heavily mildewed squash leaves this year (next to my dahlia bed which I sprayed too, just in case) and within days I saw recovery and my dahlias never got the mildew.
I used the recipe from previous forum post: 5 Tbsp. baking soda + 1 gallon water
The 5 Tbsp. sounded like a lot to me (thought it might be 5 tsp. instead) but I didn't see any detrimental effect on the squash or dahlias.

thera

o

Thanks All! Knotz, I think I am going to get rid of these after I dig them up as well. Never happened before.. Don't want a repeat next season :)

o

It doesn't look like powdery mildew to me. Looks more like spider mites. In either case, it won't affect the tubers, so don't throw away (unless you're looking for a reason to get some new ones). But -- you should cut down the plants and get rid of the debris. DON'T COMPOST IT!!

I never compost any dahlia debris, just in case there is some disease or bug in it. I had dahlia smut this year for the first time, and I will be very careful to clean everything off the ground when I dig. Luckily I live in the country and can burn.

Teresa

o

That's what mine looked like too. I thought it was the heat. First timer with Dahlias here...only 2 plants. I cut them back...not even thinking they were coming back. They are now growing again. So I'm going to try to winter them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here