Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talu64

Potted Dahlia Storage

talu64
17 years ago

All the postings I have read deal with Dahlias which are already planted in the ground. As a first time Dahlia purchaser, I have two beautiful Dahlias in pots I would like to winter. Are the instructions any different for potted Dahlias? Thank you for any help.

Comments (6)

• jroot
    17 years ago

Some potted dahlias are actually dahliettas. Some will have tubers, and some not. Those with tubers are easily wintered over as described many times. Those without tubers get shredded and end up on my compost bin as food for next year's crop. The existence of tubers is the answer to your question, from my humble perspective.

• talu64
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your help - I will check them and see.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

I have ~ 8 "window box" dahlias, about half of which are in pots. These I started myself so I know they're tubers. I'm hoping we won't have a frost anytime soon, but I'm thinking of just bringing these inside before frost is due. Is there any reason why I can't keep them going as houseplants? They don't need a dormant period as do bulbs, right? If they get scruffy or spindly late in winter I can put them out in the garage and treat them like the other dahlias after they freeze.

If this is a bad idea, someone let me know!

• tate85
    15 years ago

Hi, I need your advice! I first time in my life tried to overwinter three dahlia tubers from last summer. I did everything as prescribed. I was checking them once a month and noticed that they are drying and shrinking. Last month I found them turned to a bunch of dry brittle sticks that crack easily. With no much hope I soaked them overnight, let dry a bit and store as directed, again.
    I have big doubts they will show signs of life in spring so I ordered some dahlia tubers online. Thus, terrified with my poorly 'overwintered' tubers I have the same question as Linnea56. I am planning to plant my tubers in pots and in fall bring them inside. But I do not know is it possible to overwinter them that way? If yes, is room temperature is ok? What about watering? Thank you.

• rachelmae_flowers
    15 years ago

I'm still new to gardening. I have to do indoor gardening because I live in an apt. But I have these two great big windows in my "sunroom". I was thinking of getting a Dahlia, do they do well indoors, in pots, year round?