Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben773

Recommendation for tall single white dahlia

ben773
9 years ago

Dear Dahlia Enthusiasts:
I'm looking for a tall (4 feet or taller), white single Dahlia for my bee/butterfly garden.
Currently I'm considering Lulu Island Mom, but its a little short (3 feet). Also in consideration is RaeAnn's Snowflake, which is 4.5 feet tall, but not truly single (its a collarette).
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Ben

Comments (9)

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Check out...

Verrone's Morning Star
    Stanley Johnson Medal - 2013
    Best Novelty Open ADS National Shows - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

This has gotten a lot of attention the last few years for the different form. I have not grown it, but it looked great in the shows.

Personally I stay away from the open whites as bugs tend to dine on them and the middles look dirty to me as they age.

• ben773
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks CCvacation for your recommendation. VMS is gorgeous. I can see why it is winning awards. Wow!

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

I grew Alpen Cherub one year, which was pretty as it opened, but didn't care for it much. Other folk seem to like it just fine.

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

One open centered dahlia that knocks out tons of blooms with indestructible tubers is Pooh, which is yellow and orange. Don't know if you'd consider a non-white one, but most anyone seeing Pooh really loves it.

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

I know, I know... You want white. But here's another bloom-buster with lots of plump tubers for the next year and to share... Its kinda white, right?

• ben773
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the recomendations CCvacation. They are all very good ones. I wish I have MORE room! Currently I have 6 half whiskey barrels. They all 'been spoken for' except the white.

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

I was determined to have a red and white flower bed at one point. From spring to fall, I loaded it up with seed, bulb, perrenial and annual plants. It was going to be striking and pure!

The white daffs turned out to be yellow, blue forgetmenots the floated in from another bed crowded out any seed that might have germinated, pink evening primrose muscled its way in from a neighboring bed, and the red lilies turned out to be an irritating orange. The white azalea failed to bloom, and annuals got eaten up by slugs before I noticed the danger.

That's okay, the riot of color still tickled me when I passed, and I gave up on trying to micromanage mixed beds. My dahlia beds, on the other hand, I plot and design in winter to chase away the blues, and tends to stay true to plan.

I tried five gallon pots of dahlia at one point, but watering has to be very consistent for them to thrive in that environment. Most died, with one hanging on until a rainy month where it could grow and bloom. I'm a bit better where consistency doesn't matter much. ;-)

• portia
    9 years ago

I grew Platinum Blonde this year, it's supposed to be an anemone but mine doesn't have the tubular centers so it's more like a single, it's white with a yellowish center, and the stems are very long, almost 1.5 feet when I cut a bloom. I got mine from Swan Island.

• Noni Morrison
    9 years ago

Yes, Platinum Blond is spectacular! I can't remember how tall mine grew but up there where it could be seen. The creamy yellow anemone center is very pretty on it and it has a large flower. Another white single I am enjoying is "Star Baby" It is not real tall, maybe 30" but so pure and pretty.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz