Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

What Do Dahlia Seeds Look Like?

linlily
14 years ago

I'm sorry if this has been addressed ad nauseum before, but I searched this forum using the Search function and have not seen an answer to this question that is helpful to me. I also searched on the web and came up empty.

I seem to see two different things in the dried flower heads of my Harlequin Dahlias. One is larger and not very plentiful. There are lots of these other things, tapered with flat ends.

What exactly do dahlia seeds look like? I really want to harvest some of my seeds along with my tubers, many of which I was able to over-winter successfully.

Thanks for your help,

Linda

Comments (4)

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

they look like flat, squashed earwigs! Look in our "Seed to Dahlia in Pictures" album to see close-ups of them. You do know that the seeds won't be true to the parent, don't you? So if you're looking for the same bloom from seed as from tubers you won't get them.

• linlily
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'd love to see your "Seed To Dahlia in Pictures" album. Could you tell me where to access it, or post the link? I've spent time looking around can't find it.

I am going to assume that Dahlias are like Daylilies in that they don't come true to seed. What I don't understand is that you can purchase seeds that have a name marked on a package. Do they not come true to the name? As an expample, Burpee sells a Rigoletto Mix. When they mature, are they not Rigoletto Dahlias?

I grow hundereds of daylilies and there is no where to purchase a certain variety of daylily from seed. You may get a flower that looks like one parent or the other...or something completely new and different.

Linda

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Google 'Wynne's Dahlias' and you'll find the link to seed-to-seedling photos and descriptions. Very informative and soooo much work!

If you Google "dahlia seeds" Images, click on the largest image of seeds that show up. You get a view of a fairly close up from a dahlia society page in CA, I think.

• linlily
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for introducing me to Wynne's. Unfortunately, my DH and pocketbook will not be thanking you! I was so impressed by the pictures of their plants and reasonable prices. I spent time at the site, reading and learning. What a wealth of information for the dahlia novice is there.

I have grown "pot" dahlias for almost as many years as I've been gardening, and also grew a few of the taller varieties. These did not have larger flowers but they did produce "pretty" ones. It's just been in the last few years that I tried my hand at keeping my tubers over winter and had some success. I'm pleased because one of my keepers did not bloom last year - I may have planted it too late - but I have buds now. This is Hayley Jane and I can't wait to see it. I also have a plant given to me in a trade by Corgicorner, who I hope sees this message. Betty K is going to bloom too, Alfred, and I'm anxiously waiting to see it.

I have much to learn and will be spending lots of time reading messages here and enjoying all the pictures everyone has shared.

Thanks again,
    Linda

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County