Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite white ball dahlia?

Posted by tropic_lover 6UT (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 18:51

I want to get a white ball type dahlia at least 4" or bigger and would like suggestions on what your favorites are. The ones that I have seen in the Swan Island catalog that I like are L'ancresse and Brookside Snowball. I am sure there are others out there too.

I am looking for a nice one to cut and is prolific. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite white ball dahlia?

When you say "I am sure there are others out there too." you are probably wrong. You are asking for ball flowers that are larger than typical ball dahlias that are just over 3.5 inches in diameter. Most ball dahlias of any color are between 3.5 and 4 inches in diameter. Having said all of that there are two or three suggestions:
(1) Dorothy R. is listed as a miniature ball but nearly all of the flowers are over 3.5 inches in diameter(not quite 4!). It is much easier to grow than L'ancresse and has much better stems than Brookside Snowball.
(2) There is a formal decorative called RJR that has 4 inch flowers that look more like a ball than Brookside Snowball. By the way the ADS has taken Brookside Snowball out of the ball class and now it is listed as a formal decorative.
(3) Ryecroft Jan M FD W is an excellent cut flower and is a ball shaped flower in my garden. It's size is about 3.5 inches in diameter.

o

Thanks for the information. I was leaning towards L'ancresse, but if it is hard to grow, I think I will choose something else. I will check out your other suggestions. I should have realized that when Swan Island says they are 4" inches that they wouldn't be quite that big because they never are.

Thanks again,
Linda

o

The first time I grew L'ancresse, it didn't do that well. This year, the plant itself is over 8 feet, and it's constantly blooming with multiples. So had this year been the only year for L'ancresse, I would have scratched my head at Ted's indication that it's not easy to grow. I do like my L'ancresse, but since I've never grown some of Ted's other suggestions, I can't say that they aren't better. Easier is always a draw for me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here