Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsflowers_gw

Some help please ?

tsflowers
17 years ago

This spring I ordered Dahlias from Van Bourgondien. I was reading through the forum posts and noticed someone else has ordered from them also. I didn't get my dahlias labeled this spring so I don't know the ones from Van Bourgondien. I looked for their spring catalog, but must have pitched it. Here is a photo: It is only about 24" to 28" and the foliage is different from my other decorative dahlias. The foliage has more of a ferny appearance. Is this Powder Puff dahlia? (That's one of them that I ordered.)

{{gwi:658384}}

Also, two years ago I ordered from a wholesale supplier a dahlia named Peaches n' Dreams. It was their cover photo and they said it was the dahlia of the year. I went to the ADS website and couldn't find anything out about a dahlia of the year. Has anyone heard of this dahlia?

{{gwi:658386}}

Comments (3)

• plantlady2
    17 years ago

That particular company probably had it as it's own personal "Dahlia of the Year" - makes it sound good & they can sell more tubers-- but it's not a show flower nor has it ever been an ADS or NW Federation flower of the year. It's not even listed in either the current classification book nor the 76-05 one. There is a Peaches & Cream (not Dream)(WL yellow & pink) & a Peaches 'n Cream (M FD LtBl- orange & white) but neither of them look anything like this one.

• tsflowers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks plantlady. I guess I was tired when I posted that, because I double checked my invoice from them (Van Bloem Gardens) and the dahlia is called Peaches & Cream. I was extremely disappointed!! I paid $5 each and had to buy 16. I was so disappointed I didn't even dig them. However, they seemed to be the hardiest dahlia I had because 4 of the 16 overwintered.

• plantlady2
    17 years ago

WOW - for $5.00 each you could have ordered from a REAL dahlia supplier & gotten good show quality blooms. I just hate it when the big commercial growers rip people off like that- & most dahlia suppliers don't require you to buy a minimum amount either. Go to the Colorado Dahlia Society site & look up Suppliers-- there's lots of them there & they specialize in dahlias. By the time you work your way down the list from A-W it'll be time to order your new dahlias for next year!