Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Many Pictures

mctavish6
15 years ago

I have really enjoyed looking at all your pictures and getting ideas for next year. I'm a visitor from the hosta forum. It's good timing that just when hostas are getting ready for winter the dahlias are going strong. I posted a few pictures last year. Here are some from this year.

I've grown dahlias for quite a while but my space has been restricted in the last couple years. I gave up on my old vegetable garden which was the only place sunny enough for cutting flowers. I tried to keep the tubers going and managed to save a few. Meanwhile we've extended an area closer to the house that is in sun and is slated for vegetables and cutting flowers. Only one small part is developed so far and that is where I've been growing dahlias for the last two years.

These first three pictures are of the new ones from this year. I got a collection of "smalls" which is on the bottom. These are from Swan Island Dahlia (bought at the NW Plant and Garden Show in Seattle in February). I also got a couple taller varieties from them which are in the back (top) of this area.

I bought several others which are in the middle and top/back of these pictures. These were from Connell's. Only two tubers haven't bloomed yet and that's because they were stepped on by a bear. Here are the over all garden shots.

{{gwi:659120}}

{{gwi:659122}}

{{gwi:659124}}

Comments (10)

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

When can we expect bear and Dahlia shots?

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Where are you ? Beig stepped on by a bear is not something a gaardener wants to hear about. It is supposed to be a peaceful place. Reminds me of the 3 geese I would have at my back when I was trying to garden. I never knew when I was going to get it!

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Really nice, I love the way your garden's laid out. Gotta love that Pineland's Pam way at the back...;-]

Cheers,
    Russ

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back and answer some of these questions. My computer was having an upgrade (more room for more pictures). I couldn't see anything at Photobucket until this morning. Anyway.... Here is Mr Bear. This was taken on June 25, 08. It's pretty unusual for the bears to be around in the summer. They are usually here in early spring once they wake up and again in fall for the wild apples. This particular morning I was at my computer looking out the window at about eight o'clock. I saw this black thing walking up a path in my garden. This is not a wide path and I was stunned that it was a bear! By the time I grabbed my camera he'd climbed over the top of the low wall and gone into the woods on the north side of the house. I went out on the balcony and saw him walking down in front of the pool deck along with the neighbors horses. When I checked the garden he had not damaged one thing which was hard to believe. There are some stairs on the far side of the driveway that go up to the trees. The dahlias are planted here. It took me a few days to realized that it was the bear that was coming down at night and steping on (fortunately only two) of my newly emerging dahlias. They haven't bloomed still but do have some green growth so I'm hopeful for next year. Here are some pictures.

Where the Bear came From

{{gwi:659126}}

The Path

{{gwi:659129}}

The Bear
    {{gwi:659131}}

PS - You asked where I live. This is in the central part of BC - North Okanagan.

Russ, That dahlia on top is something else. Pictures are coming of the rest of my small collection.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Thanks for showing the bear. Love it,glad it is not near my dahlias.

• jroot
    15 years ago

Beautiful, McTavish. Well done.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    15 years ago

Your garden is absolutely beautiful! Looks like you live in a really beautiful area. I love the pictures of the hostas too! How close did you plant your dahlia tubers? I really like the way the fill up the garden. I think I planted mine too far apart.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

gee McTavish, I'm in Vernon!

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Triple B - I'm in Canoe, outside Salmon Arm! We were in Vernon last night at Kello O's for my son's birthday. My email address is:

myrlet@telus.net

It's exciting to know someone on a forum is near. I'm usually on the Hosta forum. Tropic lover - I'm not sure how close they are planted. I'm not good at following rules or allowing enough room for anything. This small area for dahlias (shown in the series of pictures I've posted on this forum) is really temporary. We built these planter areas last year on a whim. Now we want to build, with the same materials, a much more extensive set of raised beds on the opposite side of the stairs that lead up to the seat.

I gave up vegetable gardening several years ago as I got more and more into the hostas and shade. This - future - area is the only place close to the house that has enough sun to grow cutting flowers and vegetables. We hope to work more on this next year.

If anyone wants to see more of the actual garden where I spend the majority of my time. Go to McTavish on the Hosta forum or look at "my page".

Thanks everyone. McTavish

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

McTavish,

FYI, in my experience with mini-ties (which is pretty extensive here on this property) they cause mushroom growth. If that's what you want, its great, but when they push through parking lot pavement, its a pain in the but.

I am gradually replacing all of my mini-ties with stone, and will do so until its all gone. Most of mine is now 8 years old.

Cheers,
    Russ

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals