Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery mildew

Posted by jacqueinthegorge USDA 7a / Sunset 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 23:40

Struggled with it all summer and never really got a handle on it. Used several home remedies which barely worked, then a sulfur-based spray which definitely helped but I think the pm was too entrenched by the time I started the sulfur spray. All my plants survived and are flowering, but have plenty of mildew. And now it's starting to rain here, so I'm sure the plants will die down soon. Next year I will do prophylactic spraying. Is there anything I should do to the tubers after digging them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery mildew

I'm in the exact same boat, Jacque! Very frustrated that all of the numerous home remedies failed, and really didn't want to resort to commercial sprays.

Next year, I will start spraying fungicides nice and early before the dratted powdery mildew takes over. The spores are probably all over the soil surfaces from this season, and after digging will be all through it. I doubt treating the tubers will do anything to slow the PM.

Dr. Hammett, an experienced grower from New Zealand, recently wrote this...

"By the time you "see"powdery mildew on the upper surface of leaves you already have a massive infection that is difficult to control. Infection starts on the underside of leaves and goes unnoticed. MBC is the best replacement for Benlate. It is sold in New Zealand as Carbendazim. It is systemic. Spray long before you expect to see infection, so that the pathogen does not get a toe hold."

o
RE: Powdery mildew

Thanks CC, I also plan on prophylactic spraying, I guess this is a common problem so until a magic bullet is invented, empathy will have to do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here