Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indy76km

Endless Summer Farm

indy76km
14 years ago

Has anyone ever ordered tubers from them? Good or bad reviews? Just wondering because they are in my home state and I would rather support the local economy that buy something a thousand miles away but I want good quality too.

Comments (15)

• Poochella
    14 years ago

They have two positive reviews in the Garden Watchdog and no negatives, but I've heard others have had good experiences there as well. I enjoyed looking over their website earlier this year.

Good for you for shopping local. I try to do the same: there's just too many dahlia vendors in the NW, but I'm trying to try them all before I hang up my shovel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless Summer reviews

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

I did view their catalogue. Because of other plans for next spring I will not be adding to my inventory. But if I had to choose one from them it would be Oreti Kristy. A very beautiful and unusual one I have never seen. Steve S.

• indy76km
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the responses they were very helpful. Now I just need to pick which ones I want to order :) I really like the "wine and roses".

• scorpgirl24
    14 years ago

I was in Maine last fall and discovered Endless Summer. What an amazing place!! Phil was so nice and even showed me his room where he keeps all his tubers and cut flowers. The gardens are on the property of his house. My husband who could care less about flowers was blown away. I purchased eight different kinds-I was a dahlia newbe and a little apprehensive. I had the most beautiful flowers. I can't wait to order more. We went back twice. I'll try and post some photos.
    Jo

• indy76km
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow sounds like I should take a drive over and check them out in person. I have never really seen dahlias other than my own and pictures of other peoples. It would be nice to see a whole garden of them.

• scorpgirl24
    14 years ago

Indy76km-
    Do yourself a favor...go there! You could spend hours wandering through the gardens. Have you had a hard frost up there yet? My dahlias are still going strong. I did dig up the tubers that didn't bloom very well. I put them in a too shady space.
    Here are a few photos:
    first 3 are at Endless Summer-the rest are my dahlias. Enjoy!
    {{gwi:659923}}
    {{gwi:659924}}
    {{gwi:659925}}
    {{gwi:659926}}
    {{gwi:659927}}
    {{gwi:659928}}
    {{gwi:659929}}

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

I like that last one. Steve S.

• pdshop
    14 years ago

They are all so beautiful. I did order from Endless two years ago and every tuber failed. It was too late to get replacements from them. I was trying to give local vendors some business.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Beautiful setting in those photos Scorpgirl, both yours and Endless Summer. Love the colors in the single bottles.

PD, did you plant those that failed when it was too wet or cold, or what do you mean by 'failed.' No eye?

• scorpgirl24
    14 years ago

Thanks poochella!
    I guess I put them in the wrong spots. Some grew, but did not flower. Since the growth was spindly, I'm assuming I didn't plant them in a sunny enough spot. When I received the tubers, they all looked very healthy, so I guess it was my mistake.
    I dug them up and one actually grew several baby tubers. Will the tuber be viable if the plant never flowered?
    I am going to plant in the sunniest part of my yard next year. I have put many plants up for adoption to make room!

• Poochella
    14 years ago

The more sun the better. If the baby tubers are growing off the collar of tissue surrounding the stalk/s and show some evidence of eyes, I'd save them. Save them even if you can't see the eyes, they may surprise you next spring. Little tubers that form off another tuber will not have eyes and won't produce a plant next year.

The plant not flowering could be due to poor growing conditions, lack of sun, poor plant stock, late-blooming variety and other probably a host of other reasons. If it grew reasonably well and had decent foliage, I like to give them another chance. If they don't do well, I don't save them.

I wonder if you 'topped' your plant early on to help it bush out? That helps avoid spindly growth and get more flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Topping Dahlias from Dahlias.net

• pdshop
    14 years ago

Well Pooch, they came with all the other tubers and some rotted before I planted them and than some rotted in the ground. It was 2007 . I was disappointed as it is the only New England grower that I know of. I probably told them.

• indy76km
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you scorpgirl24 for the pictures they are all so pretty. I really like the dark red and white one from endless and the peachy one with the yellow center from your own! We have had a few frosts here and a little bit of snow already. My dahlias were killed off in sept sometime so I'm sure endless summers is put away for the season too. I am definately going to visit them next summer. It's such a pretty area where they are I might try to make a whole weekend of it.

• mirbysmommy
    14 years ago

I live in Southwest Michigan and my Dahlia's are still blooming. Do I have to wait till it frosts to cut them back for storage?

• Poochella
    14 years ago

No. Just cut them off, let them sit a week and then dig up. If it gets cold, you might want to put some mulch or protection over the root zone though, not wanting to risk a deep frost before you can get them packed away. Enjoy your blooms!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH