Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frosted

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 8:14

I've woken to two frosty mornings this week. :( This morning it was 28F. Has anyone else been rescuing dahlia flowers from the frost lately?

dahlias

I've got some favorites covered so hopefully my season isn't completely done yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frosted

That's a beautiful picture! I did the same thing last weekend but it turned out the frost didn't do as much damage as I had feared. Many of my dahlias just suffered some frozen leaves and are still blooming now.

I always hate to see the blooming season come to an end!

Linda

o

heavy ground frost here in Baltimore County but only apparent damage to dahlias a few droopy looking petals. I do believe fall is upon us.

o

I'm rather surprised (and pleased) that my dahlias sustained less frost damage than I expected. It appears that they are a bit hardier than I realized. :)

o

I am so sad.......the dahlia season is over for me.
We had one freezing night that did mine in.
I had some huge buds on some that i was going to
give bouquets of them to friends.
I have to consol myself in the fact that i had some
beautiful blooms to enter the fair with in Sept.
that got me blue ribbons.
carol

o

We had a freeze here & everything turned to mush! I picked everything blooming before it happened, so I still have blooms. I'm rather new to Dahlias, but I've fallen in love with them & I know I'll add more next year! I dug the tubers, so I'll see them again next year!

o

I picked huge bouquets one night last weekend because of a forcasted freeze. It didn't happen. But it did a couple of nights later and I lost almost all of my dahlias. SO SAD )-:

o

Steve, that photo is FABULOUS. Thought I'd pop in from my regular hang out - the rose forum, and I'm glad I did.

Dahlias have become my second flower love. I had a stunning white dahlia, with blooms about 8" in diameter, that met the demise of gophers. So, I replaced her with about 10 different varieties (all caged with chicken netting).

The snails cause me some havoc, but fortunately leave the blooms alone. Frost for me - happily at least another month away.

o

Most of my dahlias succumbed to frost a couple of weeks ago. Three pots were put in the garage so their buds could open completely. I've been enjoying their blooms . This past week has been above freezing so have been leaving them outside. I cut the large blooms for bouquets and left the smaller blooms on the plants. We are expecting snow at the end of the week and I will let these potted dahlias finish their season.

o

Most of my dahlias succumbed to frost a couple of weeks ago. Three pots were put in the garage so their buds could open completely. I've been enjoying their blooms . This past week has been above freezing so have been leaving them outside. I cut the large blooms for bouquets and left the smaller blooms on the plants. We are expecting snow at the end of the week and I will let these potted dahlias finish their season.

o

Steve I love your beauties! (thanks for sharing) I have dodged the bullet so far, Two light frosts, but have minimal damage. The multi-colored seem to have gone bonkers with the onset of cooler weather. Putting on a show before the Snow (dirty word) Monday. Gonna miss the babies.

o

Surprisingly, my dahlias are still going even after 3 mornings where I woke to frost on the lawn and glass deck table. Apparently dahlias are more cold resistant than I realized! :) Some of the open flowers were damaged but the leaves weren't damaged much and new buds have continued to open. I've had temperatures down to 28F or 29F but I don't think it was for very long, maybe just a few hours early in the morning.

o

Most of mine are fried, but I happened to take cuttings to root indoors before the first frost, and today I put leaf bags on top of the outdoor dahlias which seems to be the most effective way to over-winter them around here.

Here's a blog on some of my dahlia blooms over the summer. I have since collected many more species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia blog from over the summer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here