Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia seed

Posted by proudgm_03 5b MO (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 9:28

I noticed that this forum doesn't have an exchange page. I just grew my first dahlia's from seed and have fallen in love with them. Even though I hate having to dig up tubers of any kind they are going to be a must have for my garden. Does anyone have any seeds they would like to trade for other types of seed. I have lots of seeds on my trade page but only have dahlia seed from an unknown yellow one. Just email me if interested. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia seed

Just be aware that dahlias from seed most likely won't look like your yellow unknown one. Dahlias don't come back true to the parent from seed- too many gene combinations- & if you grow any open centered ones they will dominate.

o

My yellow dahlia is an open centered dahlia. The parent plant probably being CG Charm or Beaucoup Amis from the looks of it. It really doesn't matter to me whether or not they come true to the parent plant. I'm not really into the flower/plant name game, just into growing beautiful flowers.

o

FWIW, what you have looked at and enjoyed was the result of someone caring about the flower/plant name game. You may not care, but if all of us didn't, you wouldn't have what you have...and, you may not have it next year, because people aren't caring about the flower/plant name game.

I don't mean to sound negative, but we aren't simply harvesting some naturally growing beauty here. Knowing a little bit about genetics helps a whole lot...or else we'll be here 3 years from now trying to explain to someone you've given tubers to as to why they don't look anything like your description now.

I here portulaca is nice?

Cheers,
Russ

o

Well, Russ, I'm glad there are people like you in the world. No need to get on your high horse. I do know a little about genetics and open pollination and I find crosses to produce some very interesting combinations. I was just stating that I grow my garden for enjoyment and not so that I can say I have an original so and so. It so happens that I have posted on my exchange page that all plants are open pollinated and that sometimes you get what mother nature creates. People who understand that and enjoy crosses like me are the only type of people I trade with. Perhaps you should cross some of your dahlias. You might actually enjoy what you get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here