Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
welltraveled

cafe au lait

welltraveled
10 years ago

Does anyone know where to get this dahlia tuber..It seems every site I go to is sold out.

Comments (11)

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Most dahlia sites are not ready to sell yet, as the tubers are not dug and inventoried yet. Most will be ready by Thanksgiving, all will be ready by December to sell online.

I tried to put this in the optional link URL space, but it wouldn't let me. You can copy and paste this address to access site, as GW disables hotlinks inside messages.

This link might be helpful:
    Big List of dahlia vendors and dahlia varieties
    http://dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    10 years ago

I've ordered some already from Endless Summer Flower Farm. I'd like to order from one more vendor though just to make sure I get it. It looks gorgeous!!! Judy

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

I have two plants, which started blooming on 8-18 of this year and are now about four feet high.. Broad leaves and thick stalks pushed aside several other plants to dominate their space. It's a nice bloom, though I have to say I haven't figured out what blooms to pair with it for bouquets. That unusual cream color is difficult for me to work with. I tend to keep the blooms as singles, and probably will only put one in next year.

There seems to be quite a liking to this variety in the US the last couple seasons, especially for weddings. Many vendors are growing bunches of them, in response to the demand. It seems to be the flavor of the year.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    10 years ago

I have the beautiful Windermere English rose that I think will look gorgeous with it. You're right though CC I bet it will be hard to pair other things with but I'm anxious to grow this beauty. Sooooooo excited to be getting some!!!!

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

"Sooooooo excited to be getting some!!!!"

And THAT is what it's all about! ;-)

Every time I walk my beds, I'm trying to figure out what I can cull or grow less of next year so I can add to my collection!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    10 years ago

While walking around this evening I think a couple Knockouts will have to go bye bye to replace with a few more dahlias CCvaca!!!

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

I imagine any of the coral or orange -to-yellows would look lovely. I am patiently waiting for my first Kogana fubuki bloom to burst open. That's what got me started on this merry-go-round in the first place, then I fell in love with the Cafe Au Lait, it's on the list for next year!

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

I just saw some at Swan Island, but it's their first year there, so they aren't cheap. I also saw them at Eden brothers, white flower farm and easytogrowbulbs. I think Eden and SI are the only ones pre-ordering g though. I just put in my order for next spring now that I have seen a few blooms and 'get it!'

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Most dahlia vendors want to dig and see how much stock they have before accepting orders... Sometime between Thanksgiving and Feb.

For folks that don't know about it, the Big List is the best place to find lots of vendors. Not always updated, but still a great resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big List of dahlia vendors and varieties

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Ha, looks like I posted the Big List URL on this thread last year at this time! At least I'm consistent! :-)

• portia
    9 years ago

I got mine this year at EasytoGrow...they were great tubers and are blooming. Funny mine are a bit more on the buff side than the pinky side, I've seen both locally in the same garden, so hoping to get some of those tubers and see if the blooms differ in my garden.

Also I believe Banner Flower Farm is selling Cafe au Lait for $3 a tuber if you order more than a few, and they are taking pre-orders, I just put mine in for a bunch of other tubers.

www.bannerflowerfarm.com
    but I also emailed them from fieldofdahlias.com. Ask them if you see something as sold out because not sure they've updated their lists yet, I had them send me a list of everything available via email.