Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias opening up in center in late fall, why?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 11:05

Most of my dahlias have survived the first couple frosts with only minor damage but now it seems like many varieties are opening up in the center that were fully double a month ago. In general it seems that dahlias prefer somewhat cooler weather so I thought they would continue nicely after the first frosts. What do you think is causing this now? Shortening day length perhaps? Or maybe just general end of season stress? On a positive note, my Maarn dahlias are still putting out lots of nice fully double ball form blossoms. :) Victoria Ann is still producing nice flowers too.

Looking in Specialty Cut Flowers by Allan Armitage I see that day lengths below 11 hours have been shown to have a deleterious effect on blossoming of dahlias. My day lengths are now a bit below the 11 hour mark so maybe this is part of the cause of my defective flowers.

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias opening up in center in late fall, why?

Hi Steve. The nature of the beast.

o

Hi Steve. guess that is not much of an answer but most dahlias have a tendency to show open centers and weak necks late in the season. Not all dahlias but many. Some say you can partially overcome this by foliar feeding late August or early September. Hope this has been some help to you. Steve in Baltimore County.

o

I haven't been fertilizing my dahlias very much. Perhaps they are running low on nutrients by the end of the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here