Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triple_b

cold coming. chop down AND dig?

triple_b
15 years ago

Since we had a good frost last night, I am planning on cutting down the dahlias today. Normally I would be following the route of leaving the stalks in the ground a few more days but the temps are supposed to be diving down to the low 20's over the next couple nights. Will that turn the tubers to mush? Should I chop down AND dig today?

Comments (16)

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Triple_b,

I know my suggestion will sound silly to some, but quite honestly I wouldn't cut a Dahlia down. I'd let it fall down due to it being killed by the frost.

Until the ground has frozen your tubers will be fine, providing they don't get too much water inside the cut stalk. If you're concerned, pile some leaves around the base of each plant until the frost brings it down.

Even then, take your candy thermometer out (assuming it goes to zero) and put it in the ground, you'll be surprised how warm the soil likely is compared to the air temperature. Ground freezes after continued exposure to sub-zero temperatures...a lot later than air frost kills your growing plants.

Now even if you think my suggestion too risky, do experiment with one plant in your garden. I'll replace your tubers (of the one plant) if they freeze while you're following my plan.

If you do, you'll have blooms longer in the season and still have great tubers.

The only negative variable is if you have your tubers in raised beds/containers and get protracted winds from the north. Then your bed soil will likely freeze faster.

Cheers,
    Russ

• misslucinda
    15 years ago

Hi Trible_b. If you choose to chop, then you can protect the tubers from rain by putting a little cap of aluminum foil over the stalks.

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

we have rain coming so I think I will dig them up today (chopped on Thursday I believe).
    I am looking forward to seeing how many tubers I got this year. It's almost like fishing, pulling the fish up to see how big it is.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

By "falling down", do you mean let it get hit by frost several times? Usually the first one makes the leaves and buds go black and mushy, but the stalks are still standing. Once all the soft parts are frosted, though, I donÂt see how it will bloom more.

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

What I meant is to allow the frost to knock the plant to the ground. This has a couple of beneficial effects. Firstly, you don't have to worry about rain getting into the cut stem, secondly once the stem has "died" sufficiently the tubers will start to eye up. IOWs, they should start to eye up even before the main plant is cut off.

Obviously you won't get any blooms once the soft parts are "sufficiently" frosted, but I've seen buds bloom on plants with black leaves.

Cheers,
    Russ

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

I cannot bear to chop down dahlias when buds are still waiting to open - so I wait as long as possible. Last year, here in zone 4, I dug them up in late October when the "killing frost" had done its worst (cooked spinach for sure). Indeed, snow was in the air when the job was being done, and that is the only down side to waiting so long (brrrr!)- but I did get all the blooms I possibly could until the bitter end.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

anna_in_quebec Goor for you, love your attitude. Where are the pictures of your Dahlias?

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

vikingcraftsman - pictures are coming! I take lots because I need to remind myself why I go through all the bother every year: the cold fingers, the digging, the processing, the labelling and storing. Having these beauties to grace the table from mid-July until mid-October is well worth it. Alas, our forecast calls for severe frost this weekend, so I think the curtain will finally fall. But there are so many big fat buds! :( Here are a couple of pictures from the beginning of the dahlia season, the first I edited too small:
    {{gwi:631107}}
    {{gwi:631111}}
    {{gwi:631113}}

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Beautiful, isn't that yellow/white/pink one stunning!

Thanks,
    Russ

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

Today I'm digging some of mine and putting them in pots as I need to plant Lily bulbs. One that didn't bloom yet, I dug up last week and it looks fine. This way I can haul them inside if it is close to freezing.

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Russ, it is lovely, isn't it - called Caribbean Fantasy. What is more, each bloom seems to be different, as in a different proportion of pink and yellow. The maroon with "solid" centres are called "Blue Bayou" - it is especially prolific, both in blooms and tuber production - lasts fairly long in a vase as well. It is not offered every year around here, so I am happy to have it.

• pdshop
    15 years ago

I am noticing that the colors of the flowers are changing. My Peaches and Dreams is now turning out mostly yellow flower. It is too bad that there is only one place to get that tuber. It is beautiful and the bush produces so many flowers.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Thanks anna_in_quebec Love that Lavendar and white one would look good in my garden. I can see it in a vase with Touch of Class and Bold Accent.

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Anna,

Thanks for the name. Sayonara has been very similar to your "Blue Bayou" for me, also very prolific.

PDShop, I had terrible success with Peaches and Dreams last year and its tubers didn't survive so it got dropped. I loved it...but.

The temperature definitely has an affect on blooms, lots of things look nicer in the cold.

Cheers,
    Russ

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Russ, I have had it for three years and it makes a huge plant. Swan is the only place I have found it. This Spring I got my tuber and it rotted so they sent me a plant. It was by far the most prolific. I will see the tubers of these soon when I dig. You are welcome to one if you tell me how to wrap and send it.

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

I can't remember, are you in Ontario PDShop?

If you are, I'd send it in a bag of peat. I'd doubt much could happen to it in the short transit within the province. Not sure what the Post Office will make of it...;-]

Drop me a note at russ.cooper@rc.on.ca

Cheers,
    Russ