Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long can they wait??

Posted by anna_in_quebec z4 QC (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 11:44

So, I work full-time and have had no opportunity yet to dig up the dahlia tubers - weekends with pouring rain :( - nice days during the week :(

Nights are now going down to 26-29, but daytime it still is above freezing. Any idea how long I can wait to dig them up?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long can they wait??

Ten to fourteen days seems to be the suggested time which allow eyes to form for easier dividing. Steve S.

o

Um, 10-14 days from what? BTW, I divide in the spring, which is much easier.

My question pertained to how long can they stay in the ground under the current temperatures (if they remain stable as described)?

o

My guess is that you could dig them any time before the ground freezes. Don't we just dig in our zones b/c the ground freezes?

o

Steve S. 's answer was right on. Swan Island says to leave them for another two weeks after the killing frost. I finally dug mine up yesterday, it had only been about 8 days since the killer frost turned them form gorgeous to frighting, but I had the time and it was up in the 50's here yesterday.

I was feeling depressed that growing season is over, but looking at the size of all of my tuber clumps makes me start dreaming about how many more I will have next year.

o

• Posted by nancyd 5/Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 16:27

Anna: I've never been successful in overwintering, but I'm trying again this year. I think I always dug them too early. I contacted Swan Island Dahlias and they said to wait two weeks until after the leaves turned black. In instances where there is no killing frost, then they are safe to dig around mid-November.

o

Thanks everyone!
Bad news: I never did get around to digging out the dahlias - too cold and even snow, and I was at work.

Good news: DH (amazingly) offered to do the deed. I would normally never expect him to do this, but he saw how sad I was to lose all my plants - so he did it!

o

Good husband, Anna! He's a keeper himself!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here