Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about dividing re-sprouting clumps

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 13:29

I have a couple clumps of dahlias where the big main stem broke off in late summer due to storm damage. The clump then sent up many smaller sprouts. I dug one of these clumps in order to divide it now that the end of the season is here but there were lots of sprouts everywhere. It obviously helped me to identify where eyes are located but I also had to break off the sprouts. How will this affect the tuber next season? Will they re-sprout from the same eyes? Will I get multiple sprouts from tubers? Some of the eyes already seemed to be generating multiple sprouts from the same eye.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about dividing re-sprouting clumps

Any sprouts should be snipped off. You want to store them with no roots or sprouts. They will sprout again in the spring.

I have a similar situation with some of my tubers. We had a hard enough frost to kill the plants, but since then it has been quite a bit warmer so they are making another try.

I have some "eyes" or the start of new sprouts on the lower areas of stems, which I have never seen before in the fall. Those I will just cut off and toss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here