Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j_nail

Before or after killing frost?

j_nail
16 years ago

This will be my first attempt at digging up and storing my dahlias (this year was my second attempt at growing them, success!!!). I'm confident in the digging and dividing processes, but the timing and storage still have me biting my lip a bit after reading so many methods. We've had (light) rainy or foggy mornings and beautiful sunny days (mid-60's) for the past week, and I'm expecting a killing frost in the next week. I'm going to go ahead and cut them back today since I have the time (full time school/work) and leave them in the ground until at least the weekend when I'll have a bit more time (and hopefully confidence!).

My questions are:

Sounds like the curing process can be done by leaving them in the ground or after digging? If so which is best? (I planted my fall bulbs yesterday in a neighboring bed that has been amended the same and the soil is just moist, not soggy. These beds do have slower drainage than other beds because so far they are the only beds I've amended but no heavy rain expected.)

Getting mixed messages as to digging before vs. after a killing frost.

Will an unheated garage in my area be too cold?

Can I layer them in a box between layers of newspaper or should I bag them up in some kind of medium (perlite, sawdust, etc.) then put them in a box?

Fungicide treatment, no treatment or dilute bleach solution? (I'm also a poor college student so if I can avoid having to buy something that would be ideal!)

I really appreciate any tips! Thanks a lot!

Comments (5)

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

Dear Friend, my home was in Chewelah. As you can see I am a long way from there. May I suggest you Google the INLAND EMPIRE DAHLIA SOCIETY. If you get no response from them I will attempt to help you. Steve in Baltimore County.

• j_nail
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Many thanks Steve. I live in Spokane by the way and yes you are far from the INW! I have tried the IEDS and haven't received a response yet. I actually did dig one up yesterday when I cut them back just to see how visible the eyes were, which they are. I wont be able to dig them up until Saturday anyhow and we're supposed to freeze tomorrow night. Looks like it's experiment time! My main concern at this point is storage. I'm going to prepare their winter "bed" and stick a thermometer in it to monitor temps for now. A bit colder in Chewelah, where did you store? Also, what are your feelings/experiences with fungicide treatment (as opposed to none)? After sleeping on it that's about all I'm left pondering.
    Thanks again for the response!

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

I was just growing up then but remember helping Mom dig and store them. We washed them off and stored on shelves in the basement. I do not remember her dividing them. As for fungicide some recommend 10% clorox dip for a few minutes.
    I divide mine, place in 1 gal freezer bags with vermiculite.
    I leave the bags open and store these in boxes in the coolest part of basement. About 2 weeks before planting time I bring them into warmer area and they sprout nicely. By the way you don't happen to live anywhere near Cannon Hill Park do you? Steve in Baltimore County.

• j_nail
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah, I see. Thanks for the input regardless! I think the garage will have to do, I'll just be sure to insulate them well and I'll keep a thermometer in the box with them so I can keep an eye on temps.
    I actually live in Peaceful Valley, but my brother lives right below Cannon Hill Park. Why do you ask?

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

There is a small garden, I believe on the 18th st side of the park and just a block or two east of Lincoln, has the most beautiful dahlias, Just thought it might be yours. Steve in Baltimore County.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville