Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monica33flowers

Help with Dahlias

monica33flowers
15 years ago

Hello all!

Last week we decided it was time to clean out our basement. Well, under a pile of clutter I found two dahlias with huge sprouts.

So, I planted them into separate containers and I've got lots of foilage in just a week.

So my question is I would like to keep these for next year but we've already had one frost and their will be more to come before these dahlias bloom.

What do I do? Let them grow as long as possible and then let them freeze? Will they be able to survive with such a short growing time?

Please help --- I've never dealt with this before and I really would like to use them next year.

Thank you

Comments (11)

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

You have a couple of choices, but the one that probably is the easiest is to simply cut the sprout off just above the side of the tuber like you were taking it as a cutting and put the tuber to bed. Use whatever winter storage method you use for your others, just get this one out of the light so the sprout doesnÂt start again. That will give you those individual tubers to plant next year.

If you want to try and get a clump of tubers out of these for use next year, IÂd recommend putting it on a container and putting it under some decent lighting for 8 hours a day. This should convince it to put more energy into tuber production, but appreciate that itÂs going to take 3-4 months to get much in that regard. That said, by March next year it may well be ready to separate the clump and give yourself multiple plants. Keep it disbudded and largely disbranched, and be careful with watering so as not to rot the tuber.

FYI, decent lighting for what you want to do will be "cold" lights, or lights in the blue spectrum. You donÂt want full spectrum or "hot" or red spectrum lights as both will promote foliage/bud production. YouÂll know youÂve got the wrong lighting if they start to get long and spindly.

Keep us advised as to how they do, youÂll be conducting yet another winter experimentÂ;-]

Cheers,
    Russ

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Yes go ahead and do what Russ and I are doing. Grow dahlias under lights. Let us know how you make out. We would like dahlias to be grown year around in cold climates.

• monica33flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help!

I wish I could grow dahlias year round but here at home our space is so limited and I have two cats that would be chewing on all the sprouts. LOL.

I guess I will just put these to bed and hope they make it next year.

Thanks again for the help!

PS: Russ aka Sturgeon guy --- do you live in WI? Just wondering from your user name. Sturgeon fishing here in WI is done and I've seen some huge sturgeon that have been caught.

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Monica,

Nope, I live in Lindsay, Ontario on Sturgeon Lake. No sturgeons in my lake though...only muskellunge aka muskie.

Cheers,
    Russ

• triple_b
    15 years ago

muskies aren't the world's pretties sport fish are they?
    How are they for eating?

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Muskies are the ones I have the most fun catching, and IMO, they're the best tasting too. Luckily, in our lake they are thriving so well that keeping one or two a year to eat is still reasonable.

Cheers,
    Russ

• monica33flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've never been muskie fishing. But I've been trying to talk my (SO) boyfriend, we should go to Canada and fish for Northern Pike and Muskies. When we watch the fishing shows the size of those fish are just HUMUNGOUS!

We do a lot of fishing for Northern Pike but we just catch and release. Sorry, but I don't care for the taste of fish and since I'm the cook, I don't fillet or cook them.

• plantlady2008
    15 years ago

...and speaking of fishing- here's Walt a couple of years ago with a nice King Salmon he caught up at the Vedder River in BC, Canada & a Wyn's King Salomn. The caption reads-- "I'd rather be catching these than digging those"!
    {{gwi:662448}}

and now that we've had an early frost where is he today? Up at the Vedder River fishing, of course! The digging will wait while the fishing's good.

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Northern Pike and muskies are too boney to eat enjoyably, but fun to catch. Walleye is the freshwater treasure to us. But Walt: well, that is a fine farmer with a fine fish, a fine fork and an even finer flower at his side.

Sorry to hear you've frosted already, Cory, I've been braced for it, but am still cutting 100's of flowers. I know I'll be cursed if I say I'm sick of them, but I'm sick of them. Not looking forward to the big dig, but it has to be done.

• plantlady2008
    15 years ago

Poochella- We had a really big frost again last night that got all the rest of the ones in the "Sheep Pen" garden. Walt started cutting down the '08 seedlings today & will begin digging them on Friday-- provided he's not fishing. The only good thing about not having dahlias so early is that this year the weather has been nice since the frost so he won't have to dig in the freezing rain-- yet!

• jlrsn_xtra_co_nz
    13 years ago

It's just past midsummer here.
    I've had a fine showing of dahlias, replanted late last year, some of them growing well over six feet tall with plenty of blossoms. However, I've noticed just recently that some have patches of leaves that have turned yellow and dry, almost like paper in texture. We have had some very hot days, but they are watered regularly. Is there something I can do to correct the problem?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting