Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlady2

A BIG One!

plantlady2
17 years ago

Last June I gave my sister's husband a tuber of our new introduction, Wyn's Conquistador. He had never grown a dahlia before in his life but loves our giants & decided he wanted to try & grow a big one. I think he succeeded!! By the time the pict. was taken it was a bit past it's prime & starting to go to center, but you get the idea. It was 17" wide & 13" deep.

So, you see, you don't have to be an expert- even novices can grow dahlias- big or small!

{{gwi:663001}}

Comments (15)

• grannymarsh
    17 years ago

And his smile is just about as wide as that bloom. ! ! It is a gorgeous flower and he has a winning smile.

• anna_in_quebec
    17 years ago

I find that pictures of dahlias now that the snow is coming are all the more beautiful and meaningful. I spent a good part of the weekend processing my tubers, and the picture you have here reminds me of my Kelvin Floodlight. It was my first year seeing this flower bloom and grow in size day by day - it was stunning and I was so pleased, exclaiming to anyone who would lsiten ; "look, I grew that!!!" I so can relate to that big smile!

Anna

• toennchen
    17 years ago

Hallo, I am a new member in this forum and I don't know if I posted yesterday correct. I am from Germany and would ask you pls to tell me the name of this big dahlia nd the diameter.
    Pls excuse my english-language is not perfect.
    Thank you in advance.
    Toennchen

Here is a link that might be useful: dahlien-freunde

• toennchen
    17 years ago

Hallo, I forgot, we have also a dahlia-forum and if you want to see the dahlias of the members pls look here
    http://www.dahlien-freunde.de/44/index.html
    or from our homepage: Dahlien Bilder and then Galerie betreten.
    See you
    Toennchen

• plantlady2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Toennchen- The name of the dahlia is Wyn's Conquistador & the diameter was 17 inches- the depth was 13 inches.

• toennchen
    17 years ago

Hi plantlady2,
    rhank you very much for your information. Here in Germany I never heard about this dahlia, but I think, that the American people like other dahlias than the German people.
    Did you have a look on our homepage with Dahlien-Bilder and Galerie (Gallery)?
    Now we have a lot of work in our garden. Last night we had the first night with -1° Celsius and now it's time to take out the dahlias. In my garden I have nearly 300.
    Pls excuse my mistakes...
    Kind regards from Germany
    Toennchen

• Poochella
    17 years ago

Wyn's Conquistador is huge! People around here marvel at the run of the mill 10 inch "dinnerplate" but that is a monster! The stem looks like a regular dahlia main stalk. How fun it must be to see what develops from your breeding as each new seedling opens.

Toennchen- I looked at your wonderful website gallery. Nice dahlias! I only recognize a few American varieties but you've got some real beauties there quite similar to ones we see here. Are they a popular plant to grow in Germany?

• mingusalex2007
    17 years ago

Thank you so much plantlady2 for the photo and also for all of your terrific advice! That flower is a great beauty! I have many pictures of my dahlias as my screensaver and it sure makes winter easier to get through. I will be digging my dahlias up in the next week. I am going to try some tubers with the saran wrap method and into the bottom of my fridge. Wish me luck!

• toennchen
    17 years ago

Hallo poochella, hallo all together,
    thank you for looking on our hp. I did not find your website gallery. Do you have on this website a gallery and how does it work?
    I looked on some websites because I will buy some dahlias from the US, but I was astonished about the prices. Here in Germany you never find a dahlia with your prices. The max. price for one tube is not more than 4 Euro. But nevermind, some of your dahlias I can't get in Germany.
    Pls again excuse my bad grammar. Since 2 weeks I started an english course (once a week) for 13 weeks :-). May be my grammar becomes better after finishing this course.
    Now we have about 10° Celsius and so I can finish my gardening. The most of the dahlias are indoor. But now I have to clear the roses.
    have a nice day and regards from Germany
    Toennchen

• inthegarden_k
    17 years ago

how was that beautiful blossom staked?

• Poochella
    17 years ago

Hello Toennchen, your English is very understandable as it is, but good luck with your class as well. It's not an easy language to learn!

If you look near the top of the main Dahlia Forum page, just below where it says "Messages," you will see "On Topic Discussions" and "Switch to Gallery." If you go to the Gallery, there will be lists of posts with various photos displayed. I will be adding more of those dahlias that bloomed here this year, so keep checking back.

• toennchen
    17 years ago

Hello poochella,

thank you for your instructions confirming the gallery. I'll try it.

Regards Toennchen (Karin)

• plantlady2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

inthegarden- Ken just had it staked with a piece of green coated rebar- nothing special. It's not an especially tall dahlia- around 4' & has broomstick-like stalks that are more than adequate at holding up the huge blooms.

• triple_b
    17 years ago

Holy Spandex, Batman!

• annabeth
    17 years ago

Toennchen:

I cannot see your homepage!

Annabeth

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer