Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tubers sprouting before storing

Posted by Bernyca 9 (brny@cox.net) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:05

In getting ready to dig & store my Dahlias for the winter I started to cut 'em down. I'm finding that about half of them are pushing a rather surprising amount of new shoots. �Whereas the original plants only had a couple of stocks, these look like a bush is growing. �I live in Southern California, a couple blocks from the beach, and the weather has been unusually warm. Do I let them be or dig & store? Curious as to why so many new shoots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tubers sprouting before storing

No rhyme nor reason to what dahlias sometimes do. I've dug up dahlias in winter only to find a shoot growing when it shouldn't be budding for another 6 months. I had a tuber laying on the ground since February without being planted near my chair and in Sept it started sending up a shoot. It is now about 12-16 inches high but WAAY past the time it would be able to bloom so eventually I'll have to cut off the shoot and replant it next year.

Can't explain why you got MANY shoots except you may be correct that the weather is so nice, it is sending up multiple shoots this late. There is no harm in simply cutting off the shoots and letting it winter as normal. If you let the shoots grow, they will simply grow until they run out of steam and will then simply fall over. And hopefully send up the same number of shoots as now, only next May or June when it is supposed to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here