Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

I am so excited...

I entered a picture of my show-n-tell dahlias in the Swan Island photo contest. I didn't think I would win anything but I thought I might as well try. Well today in the mail I received a $40.00 gift certificate for 5th place!

I am so excited, now I just have to figure out which ones to buy!

Linda ;)

{{gwi:656692}}

Comments (16)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Congratulations. That is a great photo of super dahlias. Steve in Stevens county.

• bouquet_kansas
    12 years ago

That,s wonderful Linda!!!!!!!!!!Congrats to you......
    yes, your flowers are beautiful..

• monet_g
    12 years ago

Well done!
    Your blooms are beautiful.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your compliments! I have been looking at the Swan Island website trying to figure out what to order and have narrowed it down to these varieties.

Mango Madness
    Shockwave
    Snowbound
    American Beauty
    Honey Dew

Do any of you grow these or have an opinion about them? I was also thinking about Plum Pretty, Randi Dawn and Platinum Blond.

Linda

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Yes - Congrats!. I can see why they picked that photo. It makes me want to have Show-n-tell in my garden. Even though I know I wont get the blooms that you do. Have fun shopping.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

YAY YAY YAY!! Congrats to you! Your pic is so fun and happy looking! Judy

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

That picture deserves to place, as do the dahlias pictured! Of course, I have an extremely soft place for Show N Tell! Gorgeous!!!!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone! I really am shocked that I won anything. I just went to their website and placed my order. I decided to spend another $10 and that way I could get free shipping too!

This is what I ordered

Shockwave
    Mango Madness
    Vassio Meggos
    Snowbound
    American Beauty
    Honey Dew

I can't wait to see them next year!

Thanks again,
    Linda :)

• moonlite64
    12 years ago

Greetings'

I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to say congrats on your show-n-tell. I ordered show-n-tell, for my garden this year. I can only hope mine does half as well as yours.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum! And thanks for your compliments! I have grown Show-N-Tell for several years and last year was the 1st time it bloomed so well. I did start it early in the house in late March so it had a head start as far as blooming. It was really spectacular and that picture doesn't even show all the blooms that were on it.

Linda :)

• mytime
    12 years ago

Beautiful pic...congrats for winning. I love the blooms with lacinated petals. I bought Myrtle's Folly last year (the colors fit in better with my other purchases) and absolutely loved it. I'm looking at all my potted dahlias right now, envisioning already where I will plant them!

• vikingcraftsman
    12 years ago

I have grown both snowbound and Vassio Meggos
    you will be very pleased with both. I was wondering how many plants were in that picture. And you deserve the prize , that shot should sell a lot of tubers.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mytime, I love the lacinated blooms too although I only had two last year (Show n Tell and Pinelands Princess). This year I ordered a red one called Northlake Pride. I have about 25 dahlias currently potted up and sitting outside in my portable greenhouse. I just checked my tubers and see that I have more that have sprouted and I will pot them as soon as I get some more potting soil. I can't wait to see them bloom!

Viking, As I recall that Show N Tell was a very small cluster of tubers that I potted up in a six inch pot. At the time it only had one sprout on it so I wasn't sure if I should divide it or not so I planted it all together. It had at least 20 blooms on it at one time.

Linda

• moonlite64
    12 years ago

Greetings'
    Linda/Tropic Lover

I started my Show-n-Tell in a pot a few weeks ago. So far nothing is happening with the plant. I mean no sprouts or anything.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some of mine now have sprouts that are coming up and some of them do not. I do know they all had eyes that were starting to sprout when I planted them. I think some of them are just slower to grow. Sometimes I get impatient and dig around to see if anything is happening or make sure the tuber didn't rot.

• moonlite64
    12 years ago

Greetings'

I will give it a couple more weeks to see if the tuber has some life. I just really want Show-N-Tell. I have Mystery Day tuber that has really taken off.