Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relative Flowering Time, AA, A, B

Posted by kellymack (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 18:15

Is there a comprehensive listing of the relative beginning flowering times of Dahlias, especially larger flowered varieties. I want to select a group of varieites for growing in 2 and 5 gal containers to market "in flower" to retail stores. My criteria are largest flowers, medium height = 2.5 - 3.5 ft, and having none that flower significantly later than the others. It is best that they are marketed in flower and varieities that are later cannot be sold as early or with the others. For example, Vuurvogel is a great variety, but it flowers significantly later than Kelvin Floodlight, Otto's Thrill, and Babylon Red.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relative Flowering Time, AA, A, B

Kellymack,

What you really want to know is not when a variety flowers, but how long a variety takes to bloom. Then, with that knowledge in hand, you start varieties that take longer to bloom earlier than the others, and they all end up blooming more or less the same time (its impossible to get it exact, but once they start blooming they aren't going to stop.)

I have numbers on my 40+ varieties I grew this year, and have worked out rough starting times for each variety to get them to all be blooming the last week of May 2009. For my varieties, the earliest date is November 24, 2008 and the latest is March 20, 2009.

I've never found a lit of bloom times. Swan indicates some as "early bloomers" and others as "late bloomers," and presumably everything else is average. 2 years ago when I first planted dahlias, my "early bloomers" came into bloom in mid June, and the "late bloomers" in September.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Russ

o
RE: Relative Flowering Time, AA, A, B

I did not do that with my dahlias ,but I took pictures and the camera soft ware dated the pictures so I have a record any way. Now that I know that I can work out a starting system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here