Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poochella_gw

Marking Tubers

Poochella
19 years ago

I finally found a source for the No Blot indelible pencil after fruitless searches at the big Office supply stores.

I am trying two, the Veritas and the "no blot- bottle of ink in a pencil" or whatever they call it. Cheap and quickly delivered by mail.

Best of all they work great! Write perfectly right on frshly rinsed tubers and dried equally legibly when checked today.

Poochella

Here is a link that might be useful: Indelible Pencil link

Comments (14)

• willow22552
    19 years ago

Hi poochella, I have been hunting forever also. I checked out the site, sounds good. Can you tell me what the shipping came to? Thanks
    Willow

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Willow,
    I have already recycled the shipping invoice and can't check the billing online, but for 3 pencils the bill came to ~$2.50. I think shipping was at least that much or double that LOL, but they were here in two days, carefully protected in heavy cardboard. Well worth it, in my book.

Did you read the little notation on protecting the leads from moisture? Store in ziplock bag, or with those dessicant caspsules you find in vitamin bottles and such? A very handy tip.
    Pooch

• AbsMyGirl
    19 years ago

I ordered a doz from Blick Company, and the whole deal was $9.00.
    But It took me 2 years to find them.
    Take Care,
    God Bless,
    Di

• hklimsa
    19 years ago

I MARK MY DAHLIA TUBERS IN FINE POINT PERMANENT MARKER, DOES NO HARM TO ANY TUBERS

• katykelly_gw
    19 years ago

hklimsa,

I use the Sharpie, also. Never had a problem.

• chrisrobt
    19 years ago

I just found a local source for the No Blot ink pencils-an art supply store. I checked the on-line sources and the mailing is more than the cost of a pencil. I used to get these pencils at JK Gills which has since disappeared.

The advantage of the ink pencil over the Sharpie is the ability to write on wet tubers-also I've found the Sharpies tend to "go dry" after marking a few tubers.

Christine

• willow22552
    19 years ago

Thanks Poochella for the link. Ordered some and you were right, very fast delivery, very little postage and they work like a charm on those wet tubers.
    Thanks again for letting everyone know
    Willow

• jamlover
    18 years ago

I ordered roots from a commercial grower and have contacted them about what they have found the best for marking. The writing on each is so plain and easy to read. I like the hint about writing on the tubers before cuttng it up over the trash heap. If they fall in all is not lost.

• jamlover
    18 years ago

Comment back from grower the Sharpie it is.

• jamlover
    18 years ago

Will a tuber you have written on still be readable when you dig if you can find where it was marked?

• Poochella
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sometimes legible, but not reliably. Dirt, water, tuber degradation can take their toll. That's where an external tag comes in real handy.

When I dig in Fall I transfer the tag from plant or stake immediately to the tuber clump, also write on whatever tuber looks like it would accept ink as a second safeguard to be sure what variety I have there. They all look alot alike once out of the ground!

Here on the right you can see the white tag with plenty of green twist tie to get around the tuber neck, or clump stem where it won't fall off once cut/dug.
    {{gwi:653207}}

• jamlover
    18 years ago

Gee, that's a beauty! Who is it poochella?

• Poochella
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jamlover, that is "Edinburgh" a nice medium sized formal decorative. It's very close to "Rothsay Reveler" pictured here. Edinburgh is a bit darker purple. Both nice blooms, and Edinburgh a good tuber producer.
    {{gwi:663595}}

• jamlover
    18 years ago

Another lovely. Gee, I'm getting more and more anxious for summer. Your photos are really clear. A digital camera is on my birthday wish list for May!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner