Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

What are your best blooming AA size dahlias?

I really love the big ones and I would like to know which of your big dahlias put out the most blooms and bloom the earliest? I only have a few of the really big ones and would like to get some more but I don't want any that spend all summer just to produce 1 or 2 flowers. My Kelving Floodlight has produced a lot of flowers (it once had 6 on it at the same time)and Grand Finale has also had quite a few blooming at the same time. Show-N-Tell has gone crazy with as many as 20 blooms at once. And then there is Envy with a big fat zero blooms all summer:(.

What are your favorites?

Linda

Comments (8)

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

There is a thread below titled "I Love inland Dynasty" that extols the giant dahlia Inland Dynasty.

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

I planted a lot of A's and AA's. The first to bloom, and the most faithful at continuous blooms? Ivory Palaces. Not my favorite (which would be Show N Tell) but it bloomed weeks before the other big ones, and was gorgeous.

• davidinsf
    12 years ago

I snagged a Baarn Bounty this year and even though it was SUPPOSED to be a late bloomer, it actually bloomed so early in June that I took one of the first blooms with me on vacation in early July. (It got rave reviews too at the campsite!)

It then apparently figured out it was blooming too early and stopped blooming in August after maybe 5 blooms.

I've seen this before though with first year dahlias so I am expecting a better crop next year. But that is ONE of the reasons I stay away from the AA's as a general rule - they don't bloom profusely for me - probably because I get too much fog and not enough sun.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I will have to keep my eye out for those two. I am getting an Inland Dynasty, Gladiator and Maniac thru a trade this fall. I will start them early and hopefully will get a lot of blooms next summer.

Maybe they will do better in my climate because it is sunny here 90% of the summer and usually pretty warm (or hot). I do give them a LOT of water when it is hot and they seem to love it.

I also like the B size dahlias and a new favorite of mine is Hot Tamale. It is just soooo pretty right now and is throwing 8" blooms which is larger than Swan Island says it would be. It just seems to glow in the garden! Holds up well as a cut flower too.

Linda:)

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

There is another thread below about giant dahlias in L.A.

• honnat
    12 years ago

Favorite AA?? Not sure about that - I do like Spartacus and Vassio Meggos; but those are technically A dahlias (although I've seen Vassio Meggos win largest in show).

Linda, I love hot tamale too. Such a great color and form - it really does glow. I haven't found a photo that does it justice. It is best seen in person. I posted mine last year here:

Here is a link that might be useful: my 2010 bloom photos

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honnat, I agree with you about Hot Tamale, the color just doesn't come out right in pictures. It is just so pretty in person. I just picked 5 of them and brought them in the house.

I ordered a few more big ones from Swan Island today since I won a gift certificate in the photo contest they have. I am getting Vassio Meggos, Mango Madness, Snowbound and Shockwave. Can't wait to see them next year!

I love the pictures on your post from last year, do you have any new ones for this year?

Linda

• Tique Lo
    7 years ago

Hello Linda! I am in Salt Lake City and since you're in Utah, I was wondering if you narrowed your search down to some of the earliest and most prolifically blooming A or AA dahlias for our zone. I've been growing them for a few years now, and my best ones have been Kelvin Floodflight (bloomed profusely mid-June onwards), Grand Finale, Lavender Perfection and Cafe Au Lait.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company