Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about digging up dahlias in zone 7/8

Posted by prettypetals GA 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 20:01

I live in north Georgia and don't lift my dahlias and they return every year. I was wanting to share a few with my sister and sister in law and was wondering if I should wait til spring or do it now. If I do it now can they go ahead and put back in dirt? Thanks, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about digging up dahlias in zone 7/8

Bump

o

Since no one in that planting zone responded, I'll give you my two cent Monopoly money...

Once you dig the tubers, I would not replant the disturbed roots until spring. Here's my theory on why-- there are lots of fine hair roots that feed the tuber, providing it with an immune system of sorts. If you sever that feeding system in a non-growing time of year, that tuber might rot with the winter rains. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Lots of growers in nice year-round climates dig every fall with the rest of us cold-zoned growers, as it allows them to divide and in turn get more vigorous plants. It also avoids rot when the plant is not actively growing.

Hope this helps, and that someone in your zone adds their thoughts.

Cheers!
CC

o

Thank you cc!! I read the Georgia dahlia society on the internet and it said to wait til spring to dig up and divide. I sooooo hate to store things over winter so I think I will just wait til April and dig them up then and divide. I'm hoping they will be fine. Your advice was very helpful in steering me in the right direction if I do decide to divide now. Thanks for your help!! Judy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here