Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why the white streaking???

Posted by patty_b 5 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 20:30

This cactus dahlia was a solid dark red all summer long, but now is showing many with white mingled thoughout.
Does cooler weather change color and how common is this in dahlias? Thanks, Patty

cactus dahlia

cactus dahlia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why the white streaking???

I haven't had any change that looks like that, but the cooler weather does change the color of some blooms. Some of mine were more vibrant while others almost seemed bleached. My reds were the bleached ones. Bright pinks were brighter.

-Katy

o

Nice color change on a lovely bright red. I haven't seen such uniform change with the slowing of the season, but have the same fading or intensifying (especially brighter oranges) as Katy. Pinks get muted, yellows hold well, whites are white or cream, some purples fade a tone or two. Everything is smaller by far, but still fascinating.

If you were inclined, you could try to take a cutting from the branch with the white/red flower and preserve it over winter. I had a solid red bloom solid yellow mid-season a couple years ago, but did not successfully keep it.

I've seen white petals, or bright pink expressions show up on dahlias at this time of year, when not seen or expected on the flower at all. I blame it all on genetics and the shorter days. It's pretty, whatever you have!

o

My Peaches and Dreams (yes, Dreams) turned yellow as well. Lovely flower though. I find the later ones didn't have the same intensity.

o

I had something very similar happen with my A La Mode. It is a bronze flower with white tips, but the first few were fairly wierd, like this:

A La Mode-ish

It was supposed to look like this:

A La Mode

It has something to do with the genes of the plant and it trying to revert to its dominant original flower...I think.

Cheers,
Russ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here