Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We have all lost a Great Man 'the Dahila Guru'

Posted by absmygirl W PA Zone 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 20, 06 at 0:20

Dear Friends & Lovers of Dahilas;

We have all lost a Great Man "the Dahila Guru", I called him.
On November 12, 2006 Bernie Mandella (Bernie_pa)passed away.
A few years ago, I had the fantastic pleasure of meeting him and his lovely wife Midge. They invited me to my first garden party. I met so many new people, they all were so welcoming.The food was fabulous and the garden displays left me all but speechless.

A year or so later, I traveled back their place with my friend since she had been bitten by the dahila bug. Again they were both so welcoming. Bernie showed us his phot collection with the President, his duties as staff director and so much more.

Everything I know about growing Dahilas succesfully, I learned from Bernie and Midge Mandella.

What I learned;
* Sharing is knowledge, no matter which way it goes.
* Mushroom Compost, will allow you to grow almost anything HUGE. whether you mix it in the soil and/or top dress as mulch.
** Lovers of plants, flowers and furry things, are the best people I have met.
** Some of the greatest people are just an email away. Were not for me asking him a question years ago, I would never of had the pleasure of knowing him.

Bernie, thank you, thank you, thank you, for serving the president, serving our country, and sharing your love of living things. God Bless you, peace be with you.
I am so happy to say I had the chance to know you and Midge.
You will be missed, I'm sure that's an understatement for Midge.

Love and Hugs,
Diane Kunkle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We have all lost a Great Man 'the Dahila Guru'

Thanks for posting this Diane. I've been sad about this loss since I heard the news last week. I had great respect for Bernie who so freely shared his knowledge of dahlia care. He was working on an updated photo/article for the ADS, I think, and I wish they'd publish it in his honor.

For any of you using the plastic wrap tuber storage method, the Mandella Method, you have Bernie and Midge Mandella along with Dr. Richard Peters to thank for your success. We have lost a real innovator and generous man.

o

Would anyone who has access to info about plastic wrap storage for dahlias please share it with me? Also, if photos or the article that Bernie wrote are available, how might I access it?

o

Its really simple, seperate the tubers, I put them in a 1 part bleach water for a couple min., dry them really good, then take one tuber and wrap it twice untill you have wraped about ten. Store them in a cool place. I only lose about 5% with this storage :)

o

Beautiful eulogy, Diane.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here