Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlady2008

The digging & dividing are over!

plantlady2008
15 years ago

The last wagon load got dug & divided on Monday.

{{gwi:664675}}

This is Walt's discard pile- 3 pickup loads.

{{gwi:664676}}

Now the storage area is PACKED full! I couldn't get a picture of all of them but you can get an idea-- we probably won't be using the ping-pong table or shuffleboard this winter.

These are in the NE corner of the cold room

{{gwi:664677}}

Then we go to the E shelves- all of them are full now- I had to move everything off of the bottom shelf.

{{gwi:664678}}

This is where Walt is working on putting all the tubers into vermiculite in the trays. Three trays go into each milk crate. These are all seedlings in the smaller trays. The named dahlias go into blueberry flats or in milk crates- one variety to a crate.

{{gwi:664679}}

{{gwi:664680}}

It might not look like it yet but Walt is really very organized down there! When he's finished we'll probably be able to at least walk around the tables.

Comments (8)

• pdshop
    15 years ago

That is mind boggling! It takes a great love of the dahlia to go through all that. You have to be doing it right to know that all those tubers are going to produce next year. I love it. I might add some more vermiculite to the bags today.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Wow, the throw away pile even looks good. I have wine barrels painted, one new flower box made and two more in some what finised state. Many more to go before spring. The garden has been tilled. Still cutting down trees so more light gets into the garden. It is wet and cold out there today so saving my energy.

• jroot
    15 years ago

A well deserved rest is in order. Wow!

• plantlady2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No rest, joot- I don't think he know the meaning of the word. Today he's cleaning off the Gazebo roof & hanging the Christmas lights up there & tonight he'll be down in the dungeon-- oops--cold room, adding vermiculite to all the flats of tubers. Meanwhile, between cleaning up all the gardens around the house & raking leaves, I've been working hard at getting the flyer finished so I can go to the printer tomorrow & run them off. Also been getting all the seedling lists updated-- will have a total tuber count sometime this winter. Who'd have thought that one little dahlia in 1965 could have started all this?! (I might have sprayed it with Round-up had I known >:) )

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Tubers, tubers, everywhere.... Nice to see another ping pong table put to such good use, Cory! Mine is looking like a greenhouse bench from last Spring yet LOL, but nothing like the volumes you have there. Walt gets an "A" in farming, for sure, and you too for organizing it all.

Do you remember what little dahlia started you out in 1965?

• plantlady2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Poochella- the dahlia was Miss Rose Fletcher-- she was introduced in 1948-- even before our time! A really pretty baby pink color, not a wonderful cactus form by today's standards, but a great garden flower-- blooms it's head off & puts out a ton of tubers every year. We haven't had it since we got rid of all the small named ones in 1985 but you can still see her in shows after all this time.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

I grow Miss Rose Flectcher,if you look at my garden shots you will see her right next to Sunny. I got 6 months of blooms out of her.
    {{gwi:629790}}

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Miss Rose Fletcher! I still have it too, Viking. Lovely pastel pink. It amazes me that a variety can stick around and be enjoyed so many, many years later.
    {{gwi:630862}}