Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

Storing in brown paper bags?

daniellalell
16 years ago

OK, so I havent been able to get any vermiculite like I wanted, so what i did was pack up all my tubers individually in small brown paper lunch bags, and put the bags in mesh bags which I will put into my attic today. I think I'll hang them. My basement gets TOO cold. If I do get to get the vermiculite I will add it to the bags, but right now its just tubers in bags. Do you think they will be OK if they get left that way? Has anyone ever done this? If so what were your results? I just can't see myself throwing out the plastic baggies next year, seems so wasteful..so I went the paper way. Also to me seems like better circulation? Or is that bad? I don't want them to rot sitting in plastic. And I'm sure in the spring my kids will find something to do with those 200 brown bags, lol. Puppets or something..a whole town of em, lol.

Comments (9)

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

I know people in the northwest who store their tubers in that manner. Also the paper baggies are bio-degradable. Steve in Baltimore County.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Steve. They have good results?
    Yes, that's one of the reasons I'd prefer to use these and not plastic.
    Daniella

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

I'm wondering if the paper will keep enough moisture in - I'm not sure it would for my winters. However, everybody's climate is a little different . . . I use plastic grocery bags. I figure its a good way to recycle them.

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

Well I remember my Mom kept hers on shelves in the basement and don't remember losing any. I use gallon baggies but also add a big scoop of vermiculite. Steve in Baltimore County.

• misslucinda
    16 years ago

Hmmm,

I'd be careful there. I would vote for the plastic grocery bags over paper because you don't want your tubers to dry out. Anyway, it's worked for me.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm a little worried they may rot in the plastic bags. I plan on checking on them every about every 2 weeks to see how it's going in there..If they do start to dry out can they be saved?
    what is your success rate with the plastic bags?

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

I can't say as to just plain plastic bags. I use the heavy 1 gallon zip lock bag. I place a few tubers in one of these, add a scoop of vermiculite and leave the top open. About a dozen of these bags are placed in large well ventilated plastic storage boxes and placed in coolest part of the basement. About two weeks before planting I bring them into warmest part of the basement. At the end of that time I find them nicely sprouted. Steve in Baltimore County.

• Poochella
    16 years ago

Get a spritzer bottle of water and mist the tubers in the paper bags lightly if they seemed shrivelled. You might save more moisture by packing all the paper bags inside a box for less air exposure/drying.

I don't know if we are the exception for gardening supplies, but our local farm and feed store is wonderful at carrying supplies I use, including bulk bags of vermiculite at a reasonable price. Perhaps there's one not too far away, Daniellalell?

Here's a commercial supplier who offers to check your area for local distributors. Might be worth a shot to contact them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulk Vermiculite

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hard to find gardening stuff this time of year around here. Now I know for next year to buy vermiculite in July or August...The seasonal stuff has all been christmas christmas christmas since Oct. As a matter of fact the other day I was starting to get some bat flower and bird of paradise seeds started..you think I could find anything I needed? NO. No seed starting mix except for store brand. I had amazingly found a couple of bags of MG Cactus succulent soil that a local hardware store had leftover to pot up my Heliconias in, even though that wasn't what I wanted either. I potted up the Heliconias and used the extra soil for the seeds..I hope they do OK with it.
    I need to move south where its warmer longer and this kinda stuff is available more.
    Lol, It's just so hard for me to spend money in the summer time on stuff I know I'll need in the fall..I always think, well, I can buy plants right now, and the fall stuff can hold off...now look at the pickle I'm in cuz I'm so plant greedy. This happened every time I went to HD this year..I'd have peat, vermiculite, potting soil, mulch all in my cart..then I'd pass something I couldn't resist..then the reduced rack..then more plants i can't resist..then the fall stuff gets put back for next time. ARGH!!
    I checked my tubers today and all seems well so far in the bags. But I am going to go on a vermiculite mission tomorrow..someone has got to have some somewhere.
    Thank you all very much.