Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is happening to my Dahlia tubers?

Posted by Sequoiadendron4 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 7:49

I pulled these out of the ground this past Sunday and they are all looking shriveled and they are a little squishy. When I pulled them out I washed the soil off and spread them out to dry. They are in the garage that is dark and around 50-55 degrees. I know you're supposed to put them in peat or wood chips but I didn't find that out until yesterday. I will pick up some pet bedding tonight but I was just wondering if they've already started to rot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is happening to my Dahlia tubers?

Here's another pic

o

Just drying out a bit too much. Looks like those tubers might be a bit immature, where you might want to split the small clumps down the middle of the stalk and store them that way.

As long as they have eyes attached to each tuber and the necks aren't thinner then a pencil width, they should be fine.

Rot tends to be black, eating the insides out... I've also had them turn into white slime, eating outside in. Im sure others have other variations of rot. Lovely stuff, nothing like what you're showing.

o

Yeah, you're probably right on the immature. 4 of the 5 are volunteers from the previous season. I've put them with slightly dampened peat in a ziplock bag so hopefully in a few days they'll be back to normal.

o

I bet they were dried by placing them on the concrete floor of the garage. Concrete very quickly dries out tuber clumps. They should store fine if you divide them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here