Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Hollyhill Big Pink sources

Laurel Zito
12 years ago

I like Hollyhill Big Pink, but I am wondering if I have to buy it from Hollyhill because the name means it is exclusive? They don't have the ordering information up yet for 2012. I could take another that would be big and pink. I have two planter boxes, and in one am puting Kelvin floodlight and something of the same size flower and pink would look good in the other box.

Comments (13)

• honnat
    12 years ago

If you haven't already, check out the dahlia locator. It is a huge resource for finding specific varities. I looked up Hollyhill Big Pink and it is offered by Cowlitz and Dahlias by Les and Viv - along with Hollyhill. Generally, the only time a dahlia is 'exclusive' to it's originator is when it is first introduced.
    BTW - I've had great success with service and quality from Les & Viv. I just ordered there again for the third year in a row.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Locator

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

The Dahlia Big list is great resource. However, it is way too soon to expect the growers to forward accurate information to the Big list for you to access. They are are still digging and dividing. The Big List puts an asterisk by the name of the growers when they have updated their list for 2012. When you see lots of asterisks, you will know that it is a good time to check for your favorite varieties. There are about 70 growers on the Big List and only 4 currently have their 2012 lists updated as I write this.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks I was able to find it right away by just googling and here is a link to the page with the Hollyhill Big Pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Les and Viv

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to post the link to Holly Hill, because I just noticed that Les and Viv only take a check. I wish I could get alerted when Holly Hill does update to the 2012. I can plant anytime. I live in San Francisco. If I get mine early and I can keep them until March. March is a good time to plant in case we have too much winter rain.

If the rain is really bad, I can even plant in April, but the fog season comes in June, so I want to get them up and growing before the fog comes. Once it gets foggy, the lack of sun slows the growth and blooming down.

I think they could even over winter, if they would not rot due to excessive rain. Most of my bulb like plants over winter, because I end up not finding them when I want to dig them up. We get a lot of winter rain, but summers are very dry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holly Hill

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put in my calender to go and order that after Dec. first, but now it is already sold out at Holly Hill. That must be a great flower to have. I just checked today. So, it sold out in less in 9 days.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Les and Viv still have them and they now take pay pal, but I can't decided if I like AC dark horse or big pink better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Les and Viv

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

Some varieties just don't put out very many tubers.

• honnat
    12 years ago

Hollyhill Big Pink was sold out on December 1st on Hollyhill's web site - the first day they started taking orders. I'm thinking they may be adding stock to their catalog later. Or, another grower bought their stock out to offer it in their catalog. Who knows. After I've heard a few folks have been looking for it; I've decided to add it to my Les and Viv order. It looks nice. I like the dark stems. And I've actually never had a pink dahlia.
    I had limited success with Dark Horse last year. I think the slugs got it early; so it had really late blooms that did not live up to the hype. If the tubers last; I'll try it again before giving up.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wrote to les and viv, they said dark horse is really purple, but in the photo it looks to be neon dark pink. I may be the flash that changed it. So, I got big pink and not dark horse from les and viv.

• honnat
    12 years ago

For those still on the hunt...I just picked up Hollyhill Big Pink from Hilltop Dahlias. They added it to their catalog for a slightly lower price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilltop

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My dahlia have not come yet. I was just looking around around and found this post. Hilltop seems have big boy, but not big pink, although big boy is pretty much like big pink. Maybe it got sold out and they took it off the list?

• edewitt
    12 years ago

I did happen to notice Old House Dahlias has it available. So if anyone is still looking to order Hollyhill Big Pink, there's one source.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got mine planted and I wanted to say, it looks so nice and healthy. It looked better then one I could buy at nursery. It was much fresher. I got it from les and viv, I wish I had gotten another one now also.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting