Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

What's on your list for next year?

It's a snowy and cold weekend here in Utah so I have been looking at the various Dahlia websites trying to come up with a list of what I want to order for next spring.

So far I have ordered 6 from Swan Island- Mango Madness, Shock Wave, Vassio Meggos, Snowbound, American Beauty and Honey Dew.

And 4 from Lynch Creek- Islander, Elma Elizabeth, Surprise and Al a Mode.

Accent has quite a few that I am coveting and I am trying to talk myself out of ordering anymore...We'll see how that goes. I have narrowed my list down to these varities:

Bryn Terfel

Hamari Gold

Hollyhill Electra

Candy Jayne

AC Rooster

Wyn's Farmer John

AC Ben

What's on your wish list for next year?

Linda

Comments (4)

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

Islander, which I was unable to get this year, but mostly I Like the 150 or so I have. And not a lot of room for new ones. Will keep an eye on the lists when what's available for next year are posted. Got a few on my list for Swan Island but more work horse dahlias for my cut flower business then anything new. Will watch other lists as they open for business. I might try again on some that did not grow this year, like Candy Jane. But also had about 8 that never got around to blooming so I Am not positive what is missing...the chickens scratched out all my tags!

I want to get some of the orchid and novelty ones for my personal home garden...I like to mix them among the roses and lilies for late color.

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

Lizalily: I'm curious what criteria go into what's your workhorse dahlias. Every year, I tell myself I should stick with the easy to grow, many flowers per plant, non buggy varieties that put out long stems and great tubers. If your criteria is similar, I wouldn't mind a list of your workhorses to compare!

As for my list, I'm traveling today. But I know that I ordered from Swan: Another Inland Dynasty, American Beauty, Tempest, and Punkin Spice. I know there's one other . . . memory! I plan to get a bunch from ?: Edna C, AC Rooster, Skipley Spot, a new Islander (my stock isn't that good and it's been a favorite in my family for more that 2 decades,) a new Kenora Wildfire (ditto the comment about Islander) Black Monarch, Jax, and Cyril Higgo (lost mine a couple years ago and the one bought from a tuber sale wasn't Cyril Higgo.) I love the A's and AA's, but they haven't been producing that well, sad to say. Our summer was almost non existant. Just had our killing frost last Sunday morning and lost Bonaventure in the process of coming out of the bud. Disappointing, but several others did make a late and welcome appearance.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Ohhhh I want so many but sooooo little room. I have placed an order with Swan too but memory this morning isn't working and toooo lazy to go check my list if I even still have it. lol! I did go ahead and place an order with Jans and have several other places I would like to try a few from just trying to decide which ones since I am so pushed for space. WOW, 150 Liza, how gorgeous they must be when in bloom. I have that many roses and lilies and love them but was wanting some dahlias to change it up a bit. Enjoying looking everyones choices so far. Judy

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Judy, I have no idea where I am going to plant all my new ones but I have all winter to decide what part of the lawn I am going to dig up now. I too, have lots of daylilys and I love them too. They provide lots of color before the dahlias start blooming so I really don't want to get rid of them. Every year my lawn gets smaller and smaller but who cares? I just have to mow it anyway lol.

Looks like everyone is a fan of Islander. I have never had that one but I LOVE the pictures I have seen.

Phyllis, Its too bad you didn't get to see Bonventure. I love the AA's and A's too and they did well for me this year. I am getting a bunch more for next year and I really hope I get to see them all bloom. If its heat and sun they need to grow then they should do well here and long as we don't get an early frost.

Lizalily, Wow I wish I had 150 varities! (I say that now until I have to dig them all up in the fall, then I will change my mind). I only have 27 varities but with the new ones I am getting thru trades and have bought I think I will have between 60-70 next year.

I too, would love to know what your favorite workhorses are. I love to cut them and bring them in the house or take to work.

Linda