Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia stems

Posted by Nevis Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 13:26

Although I am about to dig up my dahlias for winter storage I have an ongoing concern about the strngth of the stems holding the flowers. The stems are just not strong enopugh to hold the flowers reasonably erect.
What can I do to stengthen the stems?
Many thanks
Peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia stems

When you replant in the spring and the sprouts start coming up, pinch off all but the largest sprout. When that single
spout is 12-18 inches tall, pinch off the center candle. This will cause the plant to be thicker, bushier, and have
thicker stems. You will have a 3-4 feet tall plant instead of
5-7 feet with thin stems.

o
RE: Dahlia stems

some cultivars are more floppy than others, perhaps you need to get some with stronger stems.
Are all your plants wobbly, do they get full sun? And feeding too heavily has this effect.

Well, good luck next season, bye, Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here