Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireworks Dahlia Seed

Posted by maxyck zone5b canada (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 15:37

In early March of this year I grew 12 Fireworks dahlias from a packet of mixed colors. But all of the plants produced either plain yellow or yellow with the occasional red stripe flowers. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Wondering if anyone could explain this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireworks Dahlia Seed

The only explanation I can give is that Dahlias are notoriously unpredictable from seed due to a high occurrence of genetic mutation. If you want reliable flower colors grow them from tubers or cuttings.

o

My feeling is unless the company's seed catalog or web site states that there's a high probability of plain/non-variegated flowers, you have a right to contact them to voice your disappointment(pleasantly, though) in their stock and your results. Usually you see mentioned that there's a 10% or other chance you'll obtain solid colors from such packets; your results are out the realm of acceptance. I would think that the 'Fireworks' growers would have weeded out plain-colored offspring to better guarantee one's success. Let the company know about your outcome, and they may send you a replacment packet free to test this coming year. Good luck.

o

• Posted by maxyck zone5b canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 18:52

I did contact the company; they said the seed they bought from the supplier must not have been mixed very well. They gave me a refund. I was very pleased with their response. Thanks to both of you for you opinions and advice. Maxcy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here