Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbumble

Dahlias '07 - after action report

msbumble
16 years ago

Thought I'd share my stories of success & failure with the following varieties. Sorry I never took pictures, but all can be seen at the Swan Island site if you'd like to have a look.

I don't wish to condemn any variety after one season, especially since they were planted in different areas of my yard:

Canby Centennial  late blooming, medium long stems, fairly productive (3 open at a time tops)

Black Satin  mid to late bloom, great long stems (long enough for a bud vase), not very productive

Chilsons Pride  early and constant bloom, medium stems, verrrrry productive. Couldn't fill vases fast enough to keep up with it. Lovely too - and I'm sooo not a pink person!

Voodoo  midseason, long stems, few blooms

Lancresse  mid., short stems, few flowers- make that 3 TOTAL (but lovely)

Raz-ma-taz - early, short to mid stems, very productive

Jitterbug  early, medium stems, very productive

Heather Feather - mid., medium stems, few blooms, plain lavender.

Cornel  few blooms, short stems, if it bloomed at all  Crossfield Ebony - ditto.

Koko Puff  not productive, short stems

Ruskin Gypsy  (2006) gorgeous, med stem, fairly productive

Comments (6)

• Poochella
    16 years ago

This is much appreciated info. Nothing like personal experience to weigh one's decisions for next year.

I concur on Chilson's Pride and Raz Ma Taz- very hearty bloomers. I am suprised on your Cornel which is just a blockbuster here in terms of blooms, stems, and quality. Crossfield Ebony will be started early next year as it was late to the party but I loved the color.

• vikingcraftsman
    16 years ago

I had excellent results with Cornel. I bought the tuber from Swan Island Dahlia also.

• vikingcraftsman
    16 years ago

I posted some of my pictures in the galleries. Had excellent results except for Blue Bayou. When I went to dig it up there were no tubers. I had flowers all summer long.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I third the vote for Chilson's. What a bloom machine! I wish my 'Wheels' was half as productive.

• teddahlia
    16 years ago

Chilsons Pride  early and constant bloom, medium stems, verrrrry productive. Couldn't fill vases fast enough to keep up with it. Lovely too - and I'm sooo not a pink person!

Chilsons Pride is probably the best cut flower of all time. Nearly everybody who sells cut flower dahlias has grown it. In some years, it has been the top selling dahlia at Swan Island Dahlias. There is a very interesting story about how it came to be named Chilson's Pride even though it was bred by Nick Gitts of Swan Island Dahlias. It seems that Carl Chilson(a commercial dahlia grower in Washington State) was visiting Swan Island Dahlias and he spotted a bright pink seedling in the seedling patch. He pointed it out to Nick Gitts and Nick said "if you want that one you can have it, we have plenty of pink dahlias." Thus Mr. Chilson released Chilson's Pride and Swan Island eventually acquired it to sell also. Sort of like the big fish that got away.

• pdshop
    16 years ago

I had Blue Bayou two seasons. The first was spectacular and the second was horrible. Flowers but not fully developed and drooping. Weak stems.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional