Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I lift my Dahlia bulbs in zone 8

Posted by drthor 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 16:46

Do I lift my Dahlia bulbs? I am in zone 8 in Dallas (TX). Some people say yes, some say no. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I lift my Dahlia bulbs in zone 8

I'd ask around at nurseries or among other dahlia growers, as you likely have already. If you have enough plants to run an experiment, why not lift some dahlias and mulch others for a little hibernation underground? I've had them survive in the ground in our freezing winters and feet of rainfall, so they can probably take whatever Dallas winters dish out.

Good luck!

o
RE: Do I lift my Dahlia bulbs in zone 8

Running an experiment like Poochella suggests might be fun to try but you can lose tubers bringing them inside just as easy as outside if you don't take the correct precautions. I would just mulch them good 6"-8" of leaves or whatever you use to mulch. That should hold them for the winter and then if you want to divide them dig them up in early April and eyes will be showing and divide one eye with at least one tuber and replant when the soil is 70 degrees. Hold until that time in plastic grocery bags to keep the air from drying them out.

I talked to a grower from Ohio a few years ago that kept his tubers in the ground all winter using a cover of leaves about 18" thick to keep them from freezing.

Check out the DS of Georgia newsletters at our website for growing dahlias in the South.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Society of Georgia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here