Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boston3381

dahlia tubers

boston3381
14 years ago

hi all new to this web site and dahlias!!

my nabor just gave me some tubers form his flower beds.

he said there yellow and some red ones abought 4 to 6 inch flowers.

he said to dry them for abought a week then knock off the lose dirt, split the tubers and put them in a box with wood shavings to prevent mold and store them in a dark cool and dry place.

so my question is dose this sound right? is there more i should do to store them?? also they seem realy big.

the tuber pic, there abought 8 to 10 inch ball of tubers..

{{gwi:666032}}

Comments (4)

• boston3381
    Original Author
    14 years ago

it looks like i might need to use a powder Plant Fungicide any brand name out there that u whould recommend>..

• cantstopgardening
    14 years ago

Hi, not a regular poster here, so take all my advice lightly...
    I remembered reading somewhere that cinnamon can work as a fungicide, so I tried that. This is my first year growing and storing dahlias, so I'll find out if it works! I put mine in peat moss, then in a cool, dry place for the winter, as that has worked well for me for cannas, begonias, gladiolus.

cantstopgardening

• boston3381
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for your response (cantstopgardening) i dont mind useing a chemical fungicide sence im not a Organic Garden yet. i hope that dosent offend anyone, but i will try my best to stay chemical FREE..

from what i been reading most fungicides are made of sulfur and are very toxic.. thats not good!!!

as im typeing this i just found on google, that your not the only one that uses cinnamon. quote Ground cinnamon is recommended as a natural fungicide for use on tubers and roots that have been cut or dug up for winter storage.

i have lots of tubers, so i will try a hand full with cinnamon too and see what happens..

also still looking for more advice i dont want to lose what was given to me..

• darlene87
    14 years ago

There are better experts out there than me. I have grown dahlias for 40 years. Most of the time I leave them in the ground, (because of my illness, not lazy). Some people split them up in the fall. Wash with a hose. Then let dry. Then you decided whether to store them as a whole clump or individual tubers. Cut off all of the small root pieces that are under the size of a pencil. Label them if you know what they are. I bought a good knife at the Goodwill just for plant work like this. On some tubers, you will see little nubs or eyes on them, that will be next year's plant growth. I have stored mine in brown lunch sacks, then put each lunch sack in a big grocery paper sack. Some wrap them in saran wrap, and some in plastic baggie. Store in cool basement, or someplace with no frost. I usually put mine in our window well that is covered with wood. In spring, it is easier to see the eyes, where to divide them. I know on this site, someone posted on dividing them with pictures, but at this time, have not looked for the address. Looks like you will have some to trade there in spring.
    Darlene

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County