Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisabc_gw

Dahlias from last spring in vermiculite bags!

LisaBC
16 years ago

I just discovered that in my Ziploc bags of vermiculite where I had stored my dahlias in last winter are some leftover dahlia tubers! Some of them look perfectly fine! If I store these for another winter, do you think they will sprout and grow next spring??

Comments (2)

• Poochella
    16 years ago

hee hee! I found a wonderful Cafe Au Lait tuber from last winter in the same situation, no vermiculite. It just hung out all summer in a plastic bag in the dark. Since it had no eye, it never got planted.

I have read elsewhere that yes, indeed, tubers planted the second season after harvest can and will grow. Give it a try and please report back.

• crdahlia
    16 years ago

I have quite a few tubers left over from last spring. Some were in vermiculite, some in saran wrap, some in peat moss and some in nothing at all, but all look viable and have either eyes or sprouts and no mold or rot. I have put them in a box and will plant the ones I need more of in a section of the garden and see how they do. Can't stand to throw things away with potential! If they are varieties that I lost over the summer, I will put them on the bench and take cuttings.

Teresa

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia