Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to dig up in Zone 5?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 28, 08 at 20:34

I thought I posted this already but I guess not. My dahlias were frosted in Early November and cut down 2 weeks ago. With one thing and another (and another and another) I did not get them dug yet. I am in Zone 5 Chicago. Temps have dipped below freezing many times so far, and then back up.

Is it too late? Will they be dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to dig up in Zone 5?

Dig them up & see. If the tubers aren't mush they may be OK- store them so they don't touch each other so if any rot they won't rot all the rest.

o

Unfortunately for me, mine may have rotted because like linnea56 up there, ANOTHER THING x INFINITY (almost) has happened along with my forgetfulness and they're still sitting on my (enclosed) back porch in the pots they grew in. I'm really afraid of what I'm going to find! Even more, I'm afraid of what may have decided to wander in and feast on them!

Is there a chaaaaance, they may be okay? anyone?

o

I don't recall seeing any very threatening temps in Chicago yet this year, unless I missed them. Being in an enclosed porch, in soil, I would guess there is a very good chance your tubers are fine and waiting for you to dig in.
You'll never know until you look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here