Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izharhaq

Dahlia Dwarf 'Garden Pride'

izharhaq
14 years ago

Hi, has anyone grown the "Dwarf Garden Pride" Dahlia?.. what were the results?..

In Pakistan, we can plant Dahlia in winters as the summers are too hot here (38 degrees Celsius). I had planted the "Dwarf Garden Pride" seeds in Oct and now they all are about one to two and a half inches tall.(35 plants)

I have also planted 7 dahlia cuttings (don't know the variety) which are not doing pretty well due to some sort of foliage disease, I have searched internet but couldn't find the solution, all the other plants are vigorous except the Dahlia cuttings. I will upload the pics shortly.

Comments (16)

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are some pics, note the thin stems:

{{gwi:667190}}

the brownish-green colored leaf buds:

{{gwi:667192}}

the dwarf "Garden Pride" Dahlia are doing great in the same bed, some of them even got flower buds:

{{gwi:667194}}

{{gwi:667196}}

{{gwi:667198}}

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Wow Izhar, That's alot of dahlias, are they seedlings or tubers? Please forgive the silly questions, I'm new to dahlias. I see the thin stems, is that a taller variety(4-5 ft)? Do all tall dahlias need to be staked?
    I hope to grow some tall red ones with some sunflowers like Monet did, I assumed he used the sunflowers to help hold up the dahlias(that, and they look awesome together!)
    Here in Michigan, if the plant is supposed to get 4-5 ft that REALLY means 3-4 ft, so maybe the sunflower theory would work?
    Thanks for the pictures, it's nice to see green growing things when there's a couple of feet of snow outside!
    -B

• Poochella
    14 years ago

You're going to have a wonderful bed of blooms when those little ones get around to blooming. I don't think your stalks are too thin. You might read about topping your taller dahlias to encourage more side branching, if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: topping

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The dahlias in front are 'Garden Pride Dwarf mix' by Benary Seeds.

http://benary.com/index.cfm/addin/plants/startid/147/gattung/Dahlia/art/variabilis/sname/%27Garden%20Pride%27/color/Mix.html

The small plants by the wall are 'Princess Giant Asters', while the stalked dahlia are dinner-plates (dont know the exact variety as in Pakistan they are sold by the name of "Bif Flowered Dahlia".... lol)

Dwarf dahlia were started by seeds on 28th October 2009 and they are doing great, even some have flower buds. But sadly in the same bed the dinner-plates which were started as cuttings in September are not healthy, they have thin weak stems and unhealthy growth.

I placed the pics so any expert could advice me on this situation, although i stalked these but their mother stock plants are not stalked. They are about 3.5 feet approx and have healthy strong stems to support them.

As far as Sunflowers are concerned, they grow way too rapidly as compared to Dahlia and we plant them in summers.

Cheers~

Izhar

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey, Poochella, I wanted to share a strange thing which i have encountered several times with dahlia... note the bronze-green color of the emerging leaf bud in the middle pic, some times it becomes darker and the leaves shrink, and become thick fleshy this process continues for about 2 weeks than new growth start in some and most of them die. I am sorry I dont have a picture of that condition right now, but i will share it if it occur next time, and it even happens with apparently healthy plants as well.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dwarf Dahlia 'Garden pride' 4th bloom... first three were picked-up by street children.... :(

{{gwi:667199}}

{{gwi:667200}}

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

some flower buds on Garden Pride dahlia... Pics taken on 24-01-2010

{{gwi:667201}}

{{gwi:667202}}

I have noticed that despite very healthy growth of foliage the flower buds are not matching them in size and number, some even fall off turning brown when they are just one millimeter, can anyone guide me which component's deficiency is causing this?

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

another bloom, very bright and somewhat luminous bloom..

{{gwi:667203}}

{{gwi:667204}}

• allan4519
    14 years ago

Hi izhar, your first image looks like it is showing mites in the foliage and this will cause bud damage and flower loss.
    The foreground plants look perfectly healthy which is unusual as mites transfer to other plants quickly.
    There are many insecticides available though not sure what is available in Pakistan? I had a similar problem here in Australia this season and had a insecticide for mites, which cleaned it up quick.
    allan

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Allan,

I think its the leaf minor, and it has successfully retarded the growth of my dinner plates... :(

Now I am using one of the commercial pesticide available here, it picked up all the bugs, insects and worms.. except for this leaf minor... :(

• allan4519
    14 years ago

Hi izhar, thank you for the reply, have not seen leaf minor damage previously in dahlias, though have had mites and I used a commercial insecticide (Lorsban 500EC) and it worked. Must admit this spray is very deadly.

allan

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

more blooms, 29-01-2010

{{gwi:667205}}

{{gwi:667207}}

{{gwi:667209}}

{{gwi:667210}}

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago