Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

Help With Name, Please?

ceresone
14 years ago

I have a Dahlia that will have blooms on it ranging from pure white, to white flecked with lavender-purple, to a perfect one that is exactly half white and half purple-lavender. I absolutely love this one, and would like to order more, but I don't know its name. I have pictures, but dont have any luck posting. I can e-mail the pictures fine tho. Can you help?

Comments (14)

• Poochella
    14 years ago

You're welcome to email the photos to me (see my member page for email) along with the size of the blooms, height of plant, and anything else you want to specify about it. With your permission, I'll then post them here.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have e-mailed the pictures to you, hope they turn out alright.
    This is the hardiest one I have ever seen, winters here in the Ozarks routinely are 10 degees and sometimes below. I dug all my others 3 years ago and missed this one. Now, it's doing so well, I'm afraid to dig it.
    It grows about 4' tall, and flowers are about 4" across.
    Thank you again.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Here you go: Plants are 4' tall, blooms are 4". My guess is Prince Valiant or Blackberry Ripple, but those are the only two variegated ones I know. Anyone else?

{{gwi:667219}}

Next
    {{gwi:667220}}

Fuzzy- nearly all white with pink tinge?
    {{gwi:667221}}

Here is a link that might be useful: CG's Prince Valiant for comparison

• ceresone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting.
    Husband thinks blooms are closer to 6" across. And yes, the last one wasnt clear on my pictures--but it is a pure white--no pink tinge.
    Thanks again, see why I love it?

• Poochella
    14 years ago

You're welcome. 6" would still be in line with a BB size dahlia. Blackberry Ripple is listed as B size- 6-8" at least in one place.

Bristol Fleck and Smokey are other possibilitiies in the 4-6" range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bristol Fleck at Abloom Gardens search for VARIEGATED there

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

i have a bristol fleck that does the same thing Steve s.

• flower_farmer
    14 years ago

The dahlia is Hulin's Carnival. It's a formal decorative which was introduced in 1954. This dahlia will produce exactly as you have experienced. It's a variegated; however, some blooms will be totally white, and some totally wine. We have found it to be a prolific bloomer on very strong stems. Although it is classified as an M (up to 4" blooms), we have seen it bloom up to 6 inches.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all VERY much.Now, if I do happen to lose it over winter, I will be able to re-order it. As a matter of fact, I desperatly need each of the ones mentioned.
    Where is a good place to order? and, are Dahlias similar to everything else, order early, or miss out?

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Flower Farmer how can you tell whether the flower is Hulins Carnival or Bristol Fleck? Steve S.

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Flower Farmer how can you tell whether the flower is Hulins Carnival or Bristol Fleck? Steve S.

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

It's either Hullins Carnival or Gypsy Girl--they're virtually interchangable & both oldies & unstable. You can't count on an unstable dahlia to be either always varigated or to do the weird stuff that you like it for. If you order more from any grower, they might be always varigated or sometimes do the weird stuff.
    Blackberry Ripple is out because it's a SC.
    Bristol Fleck is smaller, more stable, more formal dec. & most likely too new- esp. if you've had it quite a few years.
    Dahlias love to confuse us!!

• flower_farmer
    14 years ago

Steve,

I recognized the dahlia as 'Hulin's Carnival' since we usually grow 150' beds of that particular dahlia for cut flowers. Market customers love it for it's variations. It is an heirloom. This is important since these dahlias have withstood the test of time. They keep well in storage.

Since Swan Island has it listed, I'm going to assume it was one of Gitt's introductions. Pleasant Valley is a good supplier as well as Ferncliff.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This thrills me more than you can imagine.
    I grow only heirlooms in my vegetable garden-and since I am also a "heirloom", most are from my childhood. To find out the Dahlia that I love is one also...
    Hope it still survives-it's 5 degrees this morning-last of the week it's going to get to 10 below-unusual for us.

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

Hullin's Carnival was introduced in 1954 by a fellow with the last name Hullin- not a Gitts introduction.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County