Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats happening to my Dahlia plants??

Posted by ElliotSwan none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 10:31

The leaves of my dahlia plants are suddenly shriveling and curling up. I checked for bugs but couldn't find any. The plants were healthy to start with but after a few weeks the leaves started to shrivel up. Don't know what's the cause. I am attaching a pic for all to see. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats happening to my Dahlia plants??

Elliot, just saw your post, and I see it was from a while back. So, what happened? Did you figure it out?

o

Looks like Thrips damage to me. They bite the plant in the summer than leave a virus which only appears many months later in some cases esp. bulbs and tubers. Try cutting back all the foliage and keep the tubers cold for several months if you don't already live in a cold winter area. As soon as new leaves appear in spring spray with Neem to stop the critturs coming back. Good luck - ian.

o

We get this type of occurence (possibly the same pest), every year with various perennials and shrubs, such as Philadelphus, Phlox and Rudbeckia.

We never see what causes it, but at a certain stage of growth (or time of the year), the leaves get twisted and distorted. After some time, new growth appears, which is unaffected, but we never get around to actually spraying the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here