Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Separating pot-grown tubers

Posted by mike_jw London. UK (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 10:40

I've never tried over-wintering Dahlia tubers, but am trying this for the first time with some pot-grown ones. Owing to the confined space, when they were tipped out of the pot, the tubers were more of a ball-shaped mass instead of being slightly separate.

What is the best way of treating these when the spring comes.
At a guess, I could loosely plant the whole mass in a pot, wait for any shoots, and try to cut them off with as much of the attached tuber as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Separating pot-grown tubers

What a lot of people do with pot tubers is plant them with the eyes above the level of the potting mix and take cuttings when shoots appear. Do not take any of the tuber with your cuttings, as this will destroy the eyes. Cut just above the base of each shoot. That way the eye remains, and more shoots will emerge. You can usually take three sets of cuttings or more.

Here is a link that might be useful: A good photo of how to take Dahlia cuttings.

o

Interesting, thanks for the information.
I would have thought that as Dahlia's produce such soft and 'watery' stems, the biggest problem would be from rotting.

Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse, but I'll nevertheless
give this one a try come the spring.

o

Rot can be an issue, but they grow from cuttings OK. Here is a bit more on cuttings - this video uses a greenhouse too, but some people raise cuttings on windowsills or heat pads inside during winter, or unheated in spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on Dahlia cuttings.

o

I'm so glad to read this--does the cuttings then make a new tuber? I'm guessing they do--but since I had never heard of this, I'm going to try it. Do they grow true to what the cutting was from?

o

The cuttings do not always form a new tuber in their first season, so some people put the cutting in a small pot and plant the pot with the cutting still in it into the garden when they plant out their tubers. In autumn they dig up and store the pot, not disturbing the roots unless it is obvious that tubers have formed. In spring they plant out the root without the pot, and it will grow tubers in that second year.

Here we can overwinter in soil, so it doesn't matter.

Cuttings are true to the parent plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here