Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdshop

Garden flowers vs. cutting

pdshop
16 years ago

I have been reading about Dahlias and looking at sites for six hours in the last few days. I am now confused. I was told that dahlias that are cutting flowers also make nice full flowering garden bushes as well. Than I read that cutting flowers tend to just produce long stems for cutting and don't cover a whole plant? Can anyone help me before I start ordering?

Comments (7)

• stormingerman
    16 years ago

Both - dahlias make great cutting flowers, Truly spectacular. You want to cut them regularly - the moment the blooms are past their prime, cut them. The more you cut them the more and longer they bloom.

• teddahlia
    16 years ago

I have found that people want to grow dahlias for several reasons. At our web site hollyhilldahlias.com I have rated all the flowers we sell for four characteristics: Cut Flowers, Show Flowers, Garden Flowers, Arranging Flowers. Each category is defined. In your case you seem to want both cut flowers and garden flowers. Several varieties have high numbers in both of those categories. I would like to see other growers assign ratings to their flowers so that one can select from the thousands of varieties available.

• dahliagardener
    16 years ago

OK- how come Ted gets to advertize & our very own plantlady2 got banished for telling someone to check out some info in their seedings album- where by the way they DON'T even sell dahlias!!! Bring back our plantlady2!! I was lucky enough to be able to visit her gardens a few years ago & found her & her husband to be most helpful & friendly & ohmygosh do they know how to grow dahlias!! Now we're without her help on this forum & I for one MISS HER!!!
    For those new-comers that haven't seen her site- here's a link to the best dahlia pictures you'll ever see anywhere!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Albums

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

I don't know what happened to Plantlady2 because I am relatively new to this forum, but I fail to see anything in Ted's post that is an advertisement. He merely is stating that he has assigned a rating in the 4 categories to all the dahlias that they happen to sell. Nothing would stop a person from browsing that list and then going where-ever they please to purchase those dahlias.

• crdahlia
    16 years ago

Plantlady2 does sell dahlias, though maybe not from their albums. Personally, I feel anywhere we can get good information is worthwhile and I get lots of it from websites. Ted's dahlia rating method is a big help, especially to the beginning grower.

Teresa

• dahliagardener
    16 years ago

The point being that the agreement, when you join the dahlia forum is that if you sell dahlias you are NOT allowed to say so or advertize or send people to your site on pain of banishment. The plantlady was mearly answering a question that was answerable by sending the questioner to her "Seedlings" album-- where they DO NOT sell dahlias but it was construed as advertising & she was dropped from the forum by the powers that run the forum- how fair is that when others flat out say they are selling from their site & send people to said site??

• teddahlia
    16 years ago

The American Dahlia Society is working on providing more information on dahlias for different purposes including cut flowers, garden flowers and container dahlias and extra dwarf dahlias. One of the articles coming up in their bulletin will be a list of the best cut flowers taken from an informal survey of several growers(not me though). I believe there is a distinction between a cut flower and a garden flower. Many dahlias do not look all that good in the garden but make good cut flowers and vice versa.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz