Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No eyes on tubers

Posted by bob_13 z7 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 17:01

I dug up my dahlia tubers about a month ago, and there were no eyes visible in the clumps. So I left them in clumps, hoping eyes would develop so I could divide them.
Now, a month later, there are still no eyes visible, but the clumps look viable. Each one has about a dozen tubers.

If no eyes show up by Spring, what do I do? Can I still divide them?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No eyes on tubers

We are all waiting to see are babies open their eyes. But if worst comes to worst we can buy new ones from the people on this list.

o
RE: No eyes on tubers

Bob 13, I would recommend you go to the Dahlia Society of GA and read their November/December newsletters about storage options in your area. Contact them at that website for more particulars about dahlia care in your area. I bet you'll find some helpful answers.

Two things for now: don't let your clumps dry out, and don't let them freeze. The eyes are fairly obvious after digging for only a couple days, then they recede as the tuber skin dries. You should see plenty of sprouting eyes in spring to guide your way to successful dividing then.

Best of luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Society of Georgia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here