Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playinthedirt13

dahlia growing again after frost

playinthedirt13
17 years ago

I have a dahlia that I planted next to the garage that was killed when the frost came through like a month and a half ago, but even when it was killed, it looked kinda alive for a week afterward so I didn't dig it up. I have been coming and going and forgot about the dahlia, until I went outside the other day and noticed it was growing again. The strangest part is it was 36 degrees out at the heat of the day. Is this some kind of mutant dahlia? It bloomed late, but I also planted it late and when the frost killed it originally, it was over 5 ft tall with 40+ buds on it, I had it tied to a 7 ft piece of wood for a stake! I don't know a whole lot about gardening and I just gave it a little bit of fertilizer when I planted it (because I planted it sooo late) but it was just some fertilizer we have sitting around, nothing special. I dunno, maybe it's all normal, I just thought they weren't supposed to get that big (almost taller than me and I'm 5'10) What do I do about the dahlia? Do I dig it up or wait and see if the frosts kill it again(so far they are unsucessful)? Please, help!

Comments (2)