Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billjoebob

Has anybody up north tried leaving in ground.

billjoebob
9 years ago

Over Thanksgiving, my neighbor's sister came down from Wisconsin; she says she lives smack dab in the middle of the state. She swore to me that she cuts her foliage and lays on top of dahlias and covers them with a 10 mil thick tarp. Every year her dahlias come back and she only loses 5 to 10% if that. Has anybody that far north
done this and had success. I know they do this in the northwest but
I've never heard of success that far north.

Comments (13)

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Plant folk apparently refer to that as a cloche... The idea is to mulch, tarp and pray.

The mulch provides depth so the soil may avoid freezing solid underneath, the tarp keeps water from rotting the tubers, and then you pray that your new $25 intros from Swan Island has durable enough tubers to last the winter.

Some varieties have amazing storage abilities, some rot if you look at them wrong. Most are somewhere in-between. If you just grew the same varieties, the heartier of them might make it, while the others are rotted and forgotten.

One grower in 5/6 PA has overwintered Romance for several years in a semi-protected area with nothing added... He didn't plan on keeping it, but it kept coming back! But most folk that overwinter in the ground do that with varieties that they don't mind losing. They dig those intros.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have accidentally left Dahlia tubers in the ground in an area with good drainage, and none of them came back even though the beds are mulched and we always have a good mulch of snow that prevents deep freezes.

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Soggy soil with dormant tubers are the kiss of death, from Florida to Ontario and everywhere between. That snow has to melt sometime!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

gotta dig em, here in iowa. plant them in a pot and bury the pot to the lip. makes fall digging a breeze. pot comes right up and you don't have to cut the tuber

• teddahlia
    9 years ago

Commercial growers encourage this practice as it means more sales as the people usually lose them. There are so many ways besides freezing too: rodents especially gophers, rot, insects, slugs, snails and probably more.

• Rachel555
    9 years ago

I discovered a couple of dahlia tubers, fairly dried up, that I neglected to plant last spring. Is there any way of wintering them - in ground outside or pot in basement - for best chance of survival in zone 7?

• teddahlia
    9 years ago

Since they seem to have made it an extra year wherever they were, leave them there and plant in a pot in March. I have found that about 25% of tubers stored for that second year will grow. But not a very good practice.

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I tried to leave my Dahias tubers in the ground over winter "for science". At this time one of four is coming up. Better than my canna and caladium experiments (none of those returned).

Editing to add that another one is coming back.

• highlandernorth
    8 years ago

I live in northern Delaware. Last spring I realized I'd left a Crazy Legs dahlia tuber cluster in the ground over that harsh winter, but the only reason I realized that I'd left them in the ground was because of how they shot up in April! I think they survived because it's a sunny area covered with black mulch that absorbs heat from the sun, which probably kept it from freezing. But I also left a few tubers and an entire clump in the ground this past winter, and they all rotted due to excessive moisture(and probably cold too).

• steve siran
    8 years ago

I've always dug mine up after first frost here in Chicago. Last fall I neglected to do so with three potted tubers. They came up and are growing like gangbusters. Go figure:) Two are at the bottom of the stairs in the photo.

• radiantpoppy
    8 years ago

@billiejoebob

That sounds like a recipe for success: mulch really deep in a very well draining area. My friend who I gave dahlias to a couple of years ago had success with this here in North Carolina did it. I like to dig mine up, but his came back earlier and bigger than mine so go figure.

• mickeymantle
    8 years ago

I leave mine in the ground here in western Oregon zone 8b and they have made it thru the coldest winter in 40 years last year(-10) , they actually multiplied, here there is more problem with saturated ground in winter than the cold and I did not cover it with anything
    Im going to cover them this winter , I had a bed that was unused and covered with plastic and when I uncovered it this spring it was bone dry .
    this winter I will cover my new tubers with a tarp and then 6-10 inches of hay and leaves
    don't put the mulch under the tarp or mice will move in and eat your tubers
    I also plant my tubers a little deep 5-6" , to protect them from the ground freezing it never freezes deeper than that here