Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinnia_blooms

are Dahlias easy to grow from seed?

zinnia_blooms
17 years ago

I recieved some dahlias seeds and wanted to know how easy they are to grow from seeds and when do you start them to plant them when it gets warm .

Comments (11)

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, they are very easy to grow. Sow them in late winter/very early spring. The seeds germinate within 5 days when the temp is ~60 degrees F.

• zinnia_blooms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much rootman , that has helped me alot , cant wait to get some more seeds of these to try them and see what i get from them , i know what your talking about the ones that dont produce now i know how to check for them i had a few that was duds , now i know why , thank you again zinnia

• plantlady2
    17 years ago

I have to differ with rootman when he says the AA sized dahlias produced the most disappointing seedlings- look at our Seedling album & see what good AA & A sized parents can produce. Now, granted we have been doing this for a good many years but please don't knock the large dahlias! There's also a bunch of pictures towards the back of the album that show-- step by step how we grow dahlias from seeds.
    We don't start them until the last week in March & they're ready to plant out by the middle of May & in bloom by August. If you start them now you'll end up with really leggy, tall, floppy plants by the time you can put them out in Missouri. When you do plant out you can take off the bottom row or two of leaves & plant deep like you would a tomato plant. This will give you more tubers in the fall as well as a sturdier plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedling Album

• ChiGardener
    17 years ago

Good thing I decided to come here. I was just wondering if Dahlia seeds produce plants with tuber roots or regular roots. Think I got my answer. I'm looking forward to planting and growing some dahlias but since I've waiting so long to start some seeds inside I'll probably keep them in pots so I won't have to dig them up almost right after transplanting the seedlings.

Thanks Rootman!

• jak2627_cox_net
    13 years ago

Can you sow dahlia seeds outside after the risk of frost is past? Will this allow them enough time to bloom?

• maxyck
    13 years ago

I put the seed in a damp coffee filter or paper towel (fairly damp). As they germinate I put them in cell packs and under lights where they stay until they are ready to either harden off or move to larger pots. Very easy to grow!

• christy2828
    13 years ago

What does that mean to "pinch the main stem when 4 pairs of leaves form," to cut off the 4 leaves? Thanks, my first shot at Dahlia's and I have some seedlings just popping up!!!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Just pinch the top growing tip and it will branch out quickly..

• christym2828
    13 years ago

Thanks!!!

• teddahlia
    13 years ago

Growing dahlias from seed is lot like trying to grow potatoes from seed. I do not believe you would generally want to eat that potato because they do not breed true from seeds. Both the potato and the dahlia have tubers that give you superior plants every year. Breeders of dahlias grow about 1000 seeds to get one really nice one. About 800 are really ugly or just not healthy or vigorous. The 199 or so are inferior to named varieties and the one is very nice.

The dahlia seeds that seed companies sell are nothing like real dahlias. They have been bred them to grow only 2 feet tall and to have semi double flowers that are not much to look at. If you like short plants with randomly colored, partly open centered flowers then grow some from seeds. If you want real dahlias that grow 3 to 5 feet tall and look just like the picture, buy named tubers.