Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

big brag

highjack
17 years ago

I had a great dog show week-end, sitting here in KY. A puppy sired by my dog was Winners Dog, Best of Winners and First Award of Merit at the American Spaniel Club dog show (national specialty) All of this from the 9-12 puppy class.

What this means is the only dog to beat him was the Best of Variety dog who then went on to go Best In Show over all the spaniels.

My dog's record at ASC was outstanding but my dream has always been for him to produce a winner at this show and that dream was realized this week-end. Since my dog was neutered this summer, this was his last chance litter. I almost made the trip to watch but was afraid I would jinx it. I can now order the CD and watch the show at my leisure.

Yup, a great week-end.

Brooke

Comments (11)

• rsts
    17 years ago

NEUTERED?????????????

Geez, what do you do to the losers???

Seriously, congratulations!

Royce

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

I was wondering kinda the same thing. Who's idea was it to cut him?????

Anyway, I know you're tickled! Congrats on your baby's success as a former stud!

Janet

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Congratulations on your dog's puppy's exciting weekend win! You must be so pleased, thanks for sharing your news. Any pictures?

Laurel

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL at Royce!

Yes, neutered. When he had the tumor in his small intestine last year I made the decision to neuter so it would hopefully eliminate the fear of prostate cancer in an older male. I was not going to use him again because I did not want to put any strain on the surgically repaired intestine. The ironic part is the tumor was probably discovered as soon as it was because he bred this female and the vigorous (to put it politely) activity made him extremely sore. This litter probably saved his life. To have the puppy accomplish this win, is just icing on the cake.

Janet the next time you visit, please don't tell JD he is a former stud. In his opinion, he still is. And he is still interested in a game of ball with you.

No pictures yet Laurel but I will definitely be getting a few. I will need hubby to scan them and will post when available.

Brooke

Geesh, just got a message when I tried to post this that there was a word in here they didn't like - had to change the word to female. In dog speak, it is not a bad word, it is what you call them. When you show dogs, it is NOT referred to as Winners Female.

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Ok Brooke, we have a stupid dog question. Do dog people artificial inseminate dogs? It just seems that if we do cows, horses, pigs, and sheep that they'd have had something going with the dogs. They could do like the race horses, that you couldn't do it unless both the male and female were on the same premises. I would have lent you a can in the tank and ole JD could have still been in business....

Janet

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Congratulations! Yes, please do show us pictures!

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do have frozen on JD but think I am down to 2 3/4 straws. It becomes very expensive for the female owner to use the straws because on top of the stud fee, they have to have tests run to monitor the progression of the season and then have it surgically implanted. This can also only be done at an AKC approved vet facility, the collection, the storage and the implanting. I almost had him collected again when I made the decision to neuter, but didn't.

I do have a candid pic of the puppy now, just have to figure out how to get it from email, to my hard drive, to Picture Trail and ya'll know I'm not very literate on this contraption.

A

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Ok, next stupid question. How many straws can you get from one collection? With bulls we can collect 3-5cc's of semen and it can be diluted with an egg yolk extender and get, geez, I can't remember if it's hundreds or thousands of straws. Can this not be done with dogs?

BTW, the puppy looked all business in that picture. They sure pass out a lot of hardware at those fancy shows. All I used to ever get showing was those funny colored ribbons that they gave to us in first place down at the other end of the line!

Janet

Janet

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I actually got the pictures from an email to my computer, ALL BY MYSELF! Am I a computer genius or what - NOT! But getting there.

This picture is a candid of the puppy getting his official picture taken. The official picture won't be ready for a couple more weeks. The man in the middle and the woman on the right are the breeders of this puppy.

{{gwi:629958}}

This picture is a composit of the puppy being gaited during the actual show. The reach and drive on this puppy is outstanding. I can see why the judge liked him.

{{gwi:629959}}

Other people show pics of their grandkids, I show pics of my granddog.

Janet I would be shocked if the volumn from a bull was only 3-5cc's since that is the output of a dog. By the time they spin this to get to only the "good" soldiers, it is reduced by 50%. The typical collection for a dog is 5 straws per collection. JD was collected without a teaser so the vet was happy with 4 3/4 straws. I know when fresh is collected for a chilled shipment, there is an extender used but I don't know when, if, it is used for frozen. I never asked.

Yup, lots of trophies when you win at the National.

Brooke

• mizellie
    17 years ago

He is beautiful, Brooke. Congrats, granny....Ellie

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Ellie - I am indeed a proud Granny. I will get to see him at a specialty in Indy Feb. 10. I hope I like him as much in person as I do in pics.

Brooke

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths